Chapter 31 - Glass shards

"N-night, I... don't want to talk about why...let's just go back." Killer says as he lowers his head and glanced at the side. He was uncomfortable about talking about what his boss had told him. Thinking about it made him wish that he killed his boss on the spot.

Nightmare sighed before gently pulling Killer's hands down, and hugs him in comfort. Killer's eyes widened but he slowly smiled and placed his arms around Nightmare too. "Thanks for understanding Night..." He says in a gentle voice and Nightmare smiles a bit.

The two parted from their hug and held eachother's hand before returning to the cafe for good luck. The touch of eachother's hand felt like therapy to Killer and that was enough for him.

When they arrived inside the cafe, Killer lets Nightmare's hand go before bidding a temporary farewell so he could return to his duties, Nightmare does this too in return before returning to the table where his son was sitting at.

Rue was busy reading on his own, he was stuck in the book's world. He didn't even realize that Nightmare already returned.

Nightmare paid no mind to it and simply sat on his chair, ready to pull out his phone to entertain himself. He opened his phone and by this time Rue looks up to see who was beside him but paused when he saw what was the wallpaper on Nightmare's lock screen.

It was his mother...and Nightmare smiling with eachother and holding hands. Nightmare didn't notice Rue was staring so he continued playing around with his phone. Rue returns his gaze on his book and stared at a certain sentence, remembering what Epic said...

The phrase "Oh my God, he really is Nightmare's son..." rang in his mind. The other parts of his mind were absent so the phrase was as loud as an airhorn. Was the guy sitting next to him really his father? Was the guy sitting next to him the one who left his mother alone?

Nightmare looks up from his phone and turned his skull to Rue's direction to check what his son was doing. Rue was so focused on the book he was holding that it made Nightmare concerned. He gently placed his hand on Rue's shoulder and Rue snaps out of his thoughts. He turned his head at Nightmare's direction and Nightmare asks "Hey, are you alright, kiddo?".

Rue was silent, thinking about how to respond. "Oh, It's nothing..." Rue replies awkwardly and returns back to what he was doing. Nightmare stared at the empty plates on the table and at the busy bestfriends across from him.

Epic could feel that someone was staring at him and he looked up from his phone and saw Nightmare just staring at him blankly. He gulped, remembering his...history with Nightmare.

"What's wrong bruh?" Epic asked as he lowered his phone to try to strike up some small talk. "Nothing, Epic. I am surprised that you can confidently show up to my face." Nightmare replied passive aggressively. Epic paused and replied "...I fully support you and him. The past is past, and I couldn't keep him well.".

The two looked at eachother and Nightmare sighed. "That doesn't matter now, thanks for not holding up a grudge against me but I do prefer that you did." Nightmare said as he pulls out his phone to read some wattpad.

Cross slowly woke up after his beauty sleep and yawned before rubbing his eyes. Epic greeted him good morning and Cross laughed.

"Mooo, I am the golden cow." Rue muttered while reading his book and Cross jumped out of his seat from panic before crashing the whole table over and everyone. The angels sang "Halleluja" as the table flipped over, the dishes and mugs shattered on the floor, and everyone falling out of their chairs and Cross falling face first on the floor.

Nightmare's reflexes quickly acted up and he summoned his corrupted form to lift Rue up and his bag sacrificing his face to some glass shards. Epic fell on the floor with some glass on his arm while Cross was on the floor practically wounded. Cross's panic caused a great crash and it drawed everyone in the café's attention.

Killer quickly turned his skull to where the crash had come from and saw Nightmare, Rue, Epic, and Cross in the middle of a catastrophe. The cats and dogs barked at them and the other guests looked at them in shock.

The staff were practically frozen but Killer immediately moved. He rushed to the staff's room and grabbed the emergeny first aid kit before running out of the room to where the accident was.

He quickly pulled Cross up and Nightmare lowered Rue down enough that Rue was beside him but not low enough that he was touching the floor. Cross was in a daze and his forehead was bleading. Killer asked if he was okay but Cross answered "T-there was a cow...".

Killer sighed out of disappointment and made Cross sit on a chair and he yelled for his co workers to call for medical help. He also ordered Nightmare to pick Epic up and Nightmare without hesitation, complied to Killer's orders.

Killer opened the first aid kit and pulled out some sanitary cloths to wipe some blood and someone calls the ambulance. Rue stared at his mother in action with adoration and so does Nightmare. The two were practically making the same face, Epic was fortunate enough to witness this and he took a photo of it.

Killer quickly rushed to Nightmare with the first aid kit and Killer orders him to sit. Nightmare grabbed a chair with his tenticle and sat as Killer started treating his injuries. He didn't pull the glass out since he wasn't really an expert but he knew enough that it would make him bleed more.

He then moved to Epic and by the time that Epic was treated slightly by Killer, some medics came to finish what Killer started.

Oh boy was this a trip at the hospital...

*Time Skip*

Rue was napping soundly on one of the hospital chairs while Killer was cupping Nightmare's face to see if he was okay.

"Nighty, does your cheeks hurt? What happened anyway?!" Killer asks out of concern but Nightmare just relaxes on Killer's hand. "Rue said something about Golden cows moo~" Nightmare said, sounding like he wasn't taking anything serious at all and Killer pouted at him angrily.

"Nah, nah, he's right Kills. Rue was reading something in his book and Cross heard it and panicked." Epic said as he wrapped his bandaged right arm around Cross who was blushing from embarrassment. Killer looked at all of them in shock and asked "You all realize that you all are gonna pay for the damaged property?".

Epic and Cross awkwardly laughs but Nightmare was still casual, enjoying the way Killer was cupping his face.

Suddenly, a golden skeleton came into view and ran to them. "Oh my gosh, Kills is Cross okay?!" Dream exclaimed before putting his hands on Cross's shoulders. Cross blushed even more and Epic laughed at his face.

Nightmare froze and said in a low tone "Dream get away from that dickhead who shoved glass shards up our asses.". Dream pouted at Nightmare before saying "Brother! He's your future brother in law!". Nightmare only gritted his teeth as Killer chuckled and pulled Nightmare in for a kiss to calm him down.

Nightmare was surprised by this sudden act but kissed back. After parting, they panted a bit and Killer glanced at the clock of the hospital and saw it was already pass his last shift.

Nightmare noticed this and he walked towards where Rue was sleeping and gently picked him up. He walked until he was beside Killer and asked in a calm tone "How about I help you get back to your house, Mi reyna?". Killer giggled before booping Nightmare's nose, "Of course Night, anytime." He replied and Nightmare reverts back to his passive form before the both of them left the hospital.

The two of them plus their sleeping son were walking down the sidewalks since Killer liked it. The two of them talked while walking towards Killer's destination. Nightmare got to learn more about Killer's plan to tell Rue about him and Color that they were back together too. He didn't mind what topic they were talking about just happy to be just the three of them.

When they arrived at Killer's neighbourhood, Killer asked for his son back and Nightmare gave the sleeping child to his mother. The two kissed goodbye before they headed their ways.