Chapter 39 - Light beginning

The room was quiet. The windows poured light into the room and the sleeping child was still on his mattress.

Birds and butterflies made their daily routine as well as the consistent smell of food being cooked from way below.

Everything was at peace when suddenly, someone knocked on the door. It was gentle but rather irritating for nightly birds.

Rue sluggishly opened his eyes and responded: "I'm awake!" before the knocking stopped. The little child groaned as he rubbed his eyes and looked around.

His bed sheets were all ruffled and tangled all around and his pillows were all about.

The child, not caring as much, sat by the edge before hopping off. He slipped his feet into his little flipflops and looked out into the window before realizing what time it was.

He walked up to the door and opened it, looking around for anyone but he found that no one was there.

He didn't really question it and just shrugged it off before walking towards the Kitchen.

On his way there, he looked around, staring at the elegant walls and pillars that surrounded him.

He had to admit that Mr. Nightmare's home was sophisticated yet spacious but he still couldn't get over the fact that he was getting a bit tired from the long hallways.

Eventually, he reached the kitchen and saw Horror cooking this time.

He scanned the room for his mom but he wasn't there so he asked: "Uncle Horror, have you seen mom and Mr. Nightmare?"

Startled by Rue's sudden appearance, Horror jolted a bit before turning to him.

"Jeez, Kid. You scare me sometimes. But your Mom and Boss aren't in the castle right now, they're currently out for groceries." He answered, putting the ladle he was holding down.

Rue hummed at that before walking closer like a hungry stray dog that wanted treats. "What are you cooking, Uncle Horror?" Rue asked, acting as cutely possible as he stared at the pot.

Horror, amused by Rue's behavior, replied: "Chili con Carne" and Rue's eyes lit up with sparkles. He immediately asked if it was finished cooking and Horror took a glance into the pot.

"Hmm... Not yet, give it a couple minutes, kid." Horror said and Rue's smile immediately dissipated and he awkwardly twiddled his thumbs while pouting at the large skeleton.

Horror chuckled at this and said reassuringly: "Don't sweat it, you can wake your uncle Cross for me.", Eliciting a 'grinch smile' from Rue which made him laugh even more.

"Okay, Uncle Horror..." Rue replied, rushing towards Cross's room and forgetting his hunger.

_______________________

After rushing through long hallways and tiled flooring, Rue found himself at the end of the hallway where most of the residents' rooms were.

Specifically, where Cross' room also was...

The small skeleton walked up to a specific white door and cringed at the decor that indicated who lived there before gently turning the door knob to prevent noise.

He walked in pretty easily and stared in shock at how messy Cross' room was.

Lots of clothes were on the ground and the "weird toy statues" were all over the table. Hell, even the trash can was overflowing with rubbish.

The child then walked over to Cross's bed and saw his Uncle Dream cuddling with Cross which he stared at blankly.

Rue could see that Dream was wearing one of Cross' shirts and Cross was completely bare.