Book three, chapter nine

Harry Potter And The Grim Truth. That is the name of the third book, aka my favourite book to write.

Chapter nine of this secret-spilling book, Protective Professors; He Knows.

I do not own Harry Potter(but I totally should). This is an AU.

(I just "republished" this cos I used the auto publish but my phone's saying its still a draft)
---

Dumbledore sent all the Ravenclaws back to the Great Hall, and the students from Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, and Slytherin joined them ten minutes later, all looking extremely confused.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," said Dumbledore as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed every door into the hall. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the Prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall, and I am leaving the Head Boy and Head Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately. Send word with one of the ghosts."

He paused as he turned to leave the hall. "Oh, yes, you'll be needing..."

With the casual wave of his wand, the tables flew to the edges of the hall and stood themselves up on the walls; A second wave, and the floor was covered with hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags.

"Sleep well," Dumbledore said, finally leaving, closing the door behind him.

The hall immediately began buzzing, many people shoving and pushing to get a sleeping bag or some trying to tell eachother of what happened in the corridor.

"Everyone, into your sleeping bags!" Shouted Percy. "Come on now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

"Someone aught to knock the daylights out of you in ten minutes!" Somebody screamed over the crowd.

"C'mon, ignore them," Ron said as the person and Percy argued back and forth. They all seized sleeping bags and crowded themselves in a corner.

"Where's Dray?" Wondered Harry. "Gone off with that Crabbe and Goyle. I think they're not gonna let him go anywhere as long as Black's in the castle, and he knows we don't want them over here..." said Padma, peeking over people's heads.

"Do you think he's still in? Black, I mean," Hermione whispered, dropping her sleeping bag beside Harry's.

"Dumbledore obviously thinks he might be..." said Ron. "Real lucky he picked tonight, innit? We would've been the ones in danger here if it were any other night, 'cos we all would've been in there, unable to get out." Lisa pointed out.

"Reckon he's lost track of time, being on the run," said Ron airily. "Didn't know it was Halloween. Or he would've come bursting in here during the feast."

All around them, people were asking eachother the same question-- how'd Black get in the castle?

"Maybe he knows how to Apparate," said Oliver Rivers from a few feet away.

"Disguised himself, probably," said a fifth year Hufflepuff.

"He could've flown in," suggested a Gryffindor.

"Honestly, have nobody here actually read Hogwarts, A History?" Hermione said crossly. "Mione? I have?" Harry looked at her, shrugging sarcastically.

"Well I know you have, Harry, I mean everyone else. If they had, they'd know that the castle's protected by more than walls," Hermione said, tapping his shoulder apologetically. "All sorts of enchantments, wards, runes, and spells... you can't enter by means of stealth. You can't just Apparate in here. And I'd like to see a disguise fool a dementor. They guard every single entrance to the grounds, they'd see him fly in... and Filch, whether or not he's good at it, knows all the secret passages. Black would be lucky to get in by way of those...."