Book three, chapter twelve

Harry Potter And The Grim Truth. (I lied.)

Chapter twelve: Nobody Needs to Know.

Filler chapter alert(when I say filler I mean it can probably be removed and nothing would change) I dont care if you skip or not most of this was written when I was half asleep and a lot of things that happen do not make any sense whatsoever (the whole point of this is to add to the characters i guess)

I LIED THIS ISNT A FILLER CHAPTER ANYMORE PLEASE READ THIS 

IM ACTUALLY SO SORRY FOR THE LATE PUBLISH I WAS NAPPING 😭
---

Harry woke up early the next morning, utterly confused, feeling very empty. 

He'd lost the Firebolt the same day he got it. He had the best broom to ever have, and here he was, without it, because it got taken away after a mere few hours. He didn't quite know how to feel at all. Hermione meant well, and it was obvious too, but it didn't feel like she wasn't trying to help. He didn't get out of bed for maybe half an hour before he decided it was too uncomfortable.

The fireplace in the common room was empty, having died down to mere ashes, and it was cold. Lisa was still asleep on the sofa, a blanket just going over her head, nearly covering her eyes. Ron was sleeping on one of the sofas opposite her, a moustache drawn on his face. Harry casted a quick Incendio, reigniting the fire.

He walked upstairs to find Hermione shuffling around a pile of books. They locked eyes for a moment, but she looked away quickly.

"I'm not mad at you," he said.

"You're lying. You're probably furious with me." Hermione denied.

"It was a bit uncalled for, but I'm not. Really." Harry insisted, sitting down beside her. 

"You're really not mad?"

"Well, a bit, but I'm more shocked than mad. I think stripping a broom to 'check for jinxes' sounds a bit stupid. It's not like there aren't spells to check for jinxes and curses." Harry answered, shrugging. He was much, much more than a bit mad, now that he'd really thought the whole thing over, but he'd rather not cause another Aunt Marge incident.

"I'm really sorry, I just--"

"It's fine, 'Mione, I get it. You were just thinking with caution. I didn't think Sirius Black would even be able to get a broom, let alone a Firebolt without the Ministry being called on him, but you did. I mean, I don't think the broom's been messed with, but there's nothing wrong with being cautious."

"I'm still sorry."

"It's okay, really."

There was an awkward silence between them for a few minutes before Hermione suddenly spoke. "You've been getting taller. And your hair's longer now too. Why are you growing it out?"

"The spell I did back in Hogsmeade has lasted longer than I thought it would. I don't have a problem with it. My Aunt hates when my hair is long, but she didn't get to cut it before I left, so it's only gotten longer. You really think I've gotten taller?"

"Think?" Hermione teased, "Harry, you and I used to be eye-level! Look at us! We are not eye-level when my eyes are at your nose!"

"Sorry, Sorry, I didn't realise!" Harry laughed. 

"Turn around-- your hair's all in your eyes," Hermione directed, pulling a hair tie from down her sleeve. She pulled most of Harry's hair into a small ponytail. 

"What time is it?" He then asked, suddenly realising he didn't know.

"Around six, I think," Hermione answered, looking around for a clock. "Oh, right! Malfoy came around earlier. He said that Sir Cadogan was drunk enough to let him in. He asked me to give this to you. You wouldn't believe the scolding he gave me,"