Book three, chapter nineteen

Harry Potter and the Grim Truth.

Chapter nineteen: Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs (Too Iconic To Change)

ITS THE FIRST OF THE MONTH!!! (Also I think i checked this last week so it should be ok)

---

It took a moment or two for the absurdity of the statement to sink in.

"You're maniacs." Draco said simply.

"Completely mental," agreed Ron, and Lisa nodded hesitantly.

"Pettigrew's dead.." Harry said. "He was put out as dead to the public twelve years ago... and that Black killed him. Unless..."

"I meant to kill him," Black growled, his teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me... not this time, though!"

He lunged at Scabbers; Ron yelled out in pain as Black fell on his broken leg.

"SIRIUS, NO!" yelled Lupin, launching himself forward and dragging Black away from Ron. "WAIT! YOU-- you can't just do it like that-- they-- they need to understand-- we have to explain first--"

"We can explain after!" Black snarled, trying to throw him off, one hand still clawing the air, struggling to reach Scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet, scratching Ron's face and neck as he tried to flee.

"They've -- got a -- a - right -- to -- know!" Lupin panted, still trying to hold Black, "Ron's kept him as a pet-- and-- there's things even I don't understand! And Harry and Hermione! You owe them the truth, Sirius!"

Black paused, glancing at Harry, and then Hermione. His eyes went right back to Scabbers, clamped tightly under Ron's bitten, scratched, bloody hands.

"Fine. Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."

"What's Hermione got to do with anything?" asked Draco.

"Just about everything, by the looks of it. Anyways--" Lisa said, pulling out her wand and sighing relievedly. "Renervate,"

And suddenly, Padma stirred, slowly, before jumping up.

"The dog! Sirius Black! Ah, my leg-- Merlin's tits, that hurts!"

"Why didn't any of us try that earlier?" Hermione muttered, just as Ron stumbled to get up, hopping on his good leg; Lupin was quick to raise his wand, pointing it at Scabbers.

"You're going to want to hear me out, Ron," he said quietly. "Just, please, keep ahold of Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER! HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled, and it was good that Hermione caught him just in time, because he swayed, nearly falling to the ground.

"Peter? I-- I'm sorry, what the hell is going on? What happened?" Padma asked, rubbing her seemingly aching head.

"A lot." Lisa said, helping her to one of the chairs that wasn't falling apart.

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter.." Lupin started, "I believed it myself... that is, until I saw the Map tonight. Because the Marauder's Map never lies. Even if it was switching... the fact it switched in the first place means Peter's alive. And Ron's holding him."

"He's an illegal Animagus. He never registered... so he could be... and the Ministry would never know...." Harry mumbled, and things were starting to make sense.

"The Ministry never knew there used to be three unregistered Animagi running around Hogwarts." Lupin nodded.

"And they still don't..." Lisa whispered, and seemingly, Lupin didn't hear.