PULL OVER.

CHAPTER 10

"Stan you gotta wake up, we gotta go check out," you said to him, standing next to his side of the bed. You heard him groan a bit before he slowly blinked his eyes open. You stepped away from him, going back to making sure you had everything you brought with you. Stan reached up and rubbed his eyes with his hands. "Dude, what time it it?" he asked. His voice was slightly deeper than usual, proof he had been sleeping. "Like 11:30, we slept in but we need to get out before 12:00, so hurry up and grab your stuff."

Stan, still getting used to his surroundings, now sat up. He slowly made his way out of bed and looked around. He walked over to the bathroom while you still fixed your stuff. After getting ready he walked out and made his way over to where you were sitting on the edge of the bed. He had his toothbrush and toothpaste with him, which he put in a bag in his backpack. "Are you gonna change?" you asked him. He sat down next to you, before answering. "We're just gonna be driving today again, I think i'll be fine." He was wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt, and he was right,  you two were just going to be finishing up your trip today. "Alright then, let's go," you said standing up and leading him out of the room. Before you opened the door you turned to him, "You got everything right?" He just nodded, and you guys continued your way out the door.

————

"How long do we have left?" Stan asked you, sitting in the passenger seat. "5 hours, you wanna stop and get food some place?" you asked him, placing your phone down after typing in your address. "Yeah, we can go through a drive thru or something." "Sounds good."

     You began driving towards the direction of a Burger King Stan had looked up. You told him he could choose where you guys ate, so he just looked up the nearest drive thru. The line seemed long, but the cars were moving fast, so you just hoped it would continue that pace. "So, are you excited to live in L.A.?" Stan asked. "Yeah I guess, I just wanted to try out another life style, I'm glad I have some friends around too, would've been  more intimidating without knowing anyone around me," you answered. "Why are you asking that now?" You questioned. "Just thinking." You sighed, driving the car forward as the line continued to move on. "Stan, are you excited to live in Los Angeles?" you questioned. He shrugged a bit, he was looking out the window now. "Yeah, I mean I probably would've never thought of it if it wasn't for you, but it's one of the first drastic changes in my life i'm actually excited for." You gave him a small hum as an answer. "I'm glad."

Soon enough it was your turn to place your order. "Can I get a [your order], and..." you turned to Stan, before he leaned over towards your window "And an Impossible whopper, combo." You smiled while giving him a look. Although Stan wasn't a vegetarian, due to getting sick that one time he tried it, sometimes he would still order the vegetarian options if they had them at fast food places. "What's the drink?" the man across the speaker asked. "Uh, lemonade," he answered. "Okay that'll be $20.04" the employ said. "Thanks," Stan yelled, still leaning over towards your window, only finally sitting back down when you started pulling up to pay. "I'll pay," he offered. "No, you did it yesterday for the snacks and gas, it's my turn." "You paid for our room." "Shut up and let me treat you," you told him as you looked for the money in your wallet. He went quite after that, not responding. You glanced up from your money to look at him, only to find him facing out the window again. You then turned to your window as you met the guy who you had been talking with over the speaker. "$20.04" he said. You handed him a 20 and dollar bill, letting him keep the cents. Stan still hadn't said anything, until you guys pulled up to the next window to get your food. You handed him his lunch, while you put your bag between the seats. "Are you gonna park to eat?" he asked you. "Yeah, I need my license now more than ever so let's not risk it."

————

You and Stan were about an hour away from Vegas now, entering California about 30 minutes ago. He had been quite for a few minutes, the last conversation you guys having was about your favorite video game. It had been almost 20 minutes now since you last talked to Stan, since he had decided to get on his phone and play some mobile game he had. Being tired of just staring off and driving, even if music was still playing, you decided to start another conversation. "Stan I'm bored, let's talk about something," you said. "About what?" "I don't know something interesting." Distracted in his game he just gave a small mumbled reply. Slightly annoyed at him ignoring you, you thought about what you could possibly say to catch him off guard or have his attention.

"Stan," you started. He took a second, but gave a quite 'mhm' to you. "What type of job are you going to try and get?" Still distracted, he just responded with an 'I don't know'. "Stan," you tried again, "you're my best friend," you told him. "Yeah same," was all you got. "Stanley," you said his name one more time. He didn't give a response this time, just looking down at his phone. "I love you," you chimed, thinking he'd just say some no thought response. "Yeah s- wait what," he looked up, finally. "I love you Stanley Marsh," you said, although he could tell you weren't trying to be serious. "Uh, yeah love you too dude," he mumbled, trying to go back to his game, although you hadn't realized how much that affected him. Attempting to concentrate back on his phone screen, he couldn't at the thought of those words. He knew you meant them as his friend, his best friend. Best friends said they loved each other, right?

Still, the more he stayed thinking, the more he felt his stomach begun to turn. As if to make matters worse you guys were heading down a road where the speed limit suddenly picked up. He tried his best to ignore the growing feeling of nausea, yet it's like every second went buy everything around him just went so much faster. About five minutes had passed of him staring at his phone screen mindlessly. He was trying to ignore whatever was going on with him, but the minute he looked up from his phone for a second, he realized how stupid of a move that was. It's like everything hit him all at once, including the car sickness. "[name], dude, pull over," he suddenly spoke up. "What?" you asked, looking at him through the corner of your eyes. "Just- just pull over please," he mumbled. Luckily, you guys were on a bare road, being able to just stop at the side of the desert. Once you pulled over you took in how pale he looked. "Stan are you-" you were cut off by him quickly unlocking you car door, and basically falling out the car, throwing up on the side of the road. "Holy shit, Stan!" you exclaimed unlocking your door and rushing over to the other side. "Stan, Stan are you alright?" you asked, stepping closer to him. He just sat there still, on the ground, he didn't seem to get anything on himself, besides the dirt that surrounded him. He took a second before responding "Yeah," he breathed in, "Yeah, I'm fine." You went over to him, avoiding the mess, and sat down next to him, putting a hand on his back. "You sure? We can take a break if you need it," He shook his head, starting to stand up. You followed his lead watching him get back in the car.

"Do you want some water, I think I have one in my bag," you offered to him. "Sure, but i'm fine dude, don't worry, just car sickness," he said. It technically wasn't a lie, but he knew he wasn't being a hundred percent honest. You handed him a water which he gladly took. "You sure you fine?" you asked him again. He just nodded at you. "Okay, but tell me if you feel sick again, I don't want you throwing up in here, that'd suck," you said as you began to drive again. "I will," Stan responded, praying he wouldn't have to do that again.