4

( 𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐑! )
CHAPTER FOUR
SALTWICH.
﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Solvi was silent as they made it to Saltwich, Droitwich, Aethelflaed's Mercian estate. The child was no longer covered in blood or tears, no longer fighting the men around her who had apparently known her when she was a babe. No longer crying out for her mother Brida, who had cared for her since she was a babe. Who had become her mother, when her birthmother had been slain for her dark magical deeds.

Young Uhtred knocked on the door with his axe, while older Uhtred spoke out, "Stiorra," the name of his second born child, his only daughter. "Open the door."

"Perhaps she is sleeping," said the beautiful warrior queen Aethelflaed.

Solvi stood beside Finan, who held a hand to her shoulder. His other arm leaning against the white horse and hand pressed to his temple and forehead.

"Stiorra wake up it is your father."

"Stay back and name yourselves!" called out the voice of the girl. Uhtred did not looked pleased with her games, though the rest smiled, amused by her antics. "My father calls himself Uhtred of Bebbanburg. Who are you?"

"Stiorra it is us. It really is." Uhtred's first son spoke. WHen the girl opened the door a crack to see her brother, he smiled, "Father has defeated the Danes."

Solvi felt her lip curl back at the words.

Uhtred's smile was immediate as he saw his daughter. "I have come to take you home."

"You're lucky I didn't stab you through the door," She spoke, but grinned and squealed when her father picked her up and twirled her around.

Solvi studied the furniture that was stacked around, blockading the door.

"The battle was never close," Uhtred spoke as he saw what Solvi saw. "We would have not left you in danger."

"There have been rumors of retreating soldiers." Stiorra supplied, "We made a plan if we were attacked."

"Where is my daughter?" Aethelflaed asked.

Stiorra grinned, calling out into the house, "Aelfwynn! Aelfwynn, your mother is here!"

The girl appeared from under a table, holding birds in a cage. She opened the door and ran to her mother. "Mother!" The two hugged, "I've missed you!"

"Oh, I've missed you, too!"

Solvi looked away, a bitterness settling in her as she glared at Uhtred. He had separated her from her mother. Why? What did he mean she was under his protection? Those crimson men had taken her mother from her. They made her mother cry.

"Who is this?" Stiorra asked, peering at the young child with pale, silvery hair. Her eyes were big and blue, like that of the frozen water of a lake in the winter.

"This is Solvi." Uhtred said. "She was under the care of Brida, but now she is back in my custody."

"Your mum was the witch, right?" Stiorra asks, eyes wide in wonder. Solvi simply nodded. "Will you teach me some things?" Stiorra asked, intrigued. "I've always wanted to know more of my mother's culture."

Solvi looks at Uhtred, seeing his displeased face, before smiling at Stiorra. "I can. Mother calls me Völva, I am a seer with connections to the elements of nature."

Stiorra grins, before remembering, "Oh, right. Aethelstan! You can come out. Cnut has been sent to hell!"

Solvi smirked at those words. "He died without a blade, he will not be accepted into Valhalla." Stiorra looked back at the girl with a grin.