9

( 𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐑! )
CHAPTER NINE
DANGEROUS ROADS.
﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Aethelflaed had been appointed Queen of Mercia, and peace commenced. The tension between Edward and Aethelflaed had been appeased, for now. Aethelstan had even gotten to speak with his father, Lord King Edward, showing him the straw doll of a king he had made with Solvi and Aeflwynn's help earlier when they'd been playing outside. But now, it was time to leave.

Solvi and Aethelstand would be returning to Wessex with Uhtred, along with the company of Eadith and Lady Aelswith, who were accompanying them. Uhtred would be taking Solvi and his men, along with his daughter Stiorra, to Coccham where they would go back to the life they once had before the conflicts that arose. He would bide his time to take Bebbanburg, train Solvi and help guide her on the righteous path, and do as he always does.

So, after Aethelfaed's wondrous coronation, the group was off and soon enough they were in Wessex. First they would stop at Bedwyn, where Aelswith would raise Aethelstan- the two friends had promised that Solvi would try to visit often and Aethelstan would send her letters (she had been learning her letters with the help of Aethelstan, Eadith, Father Pyrlig, and even surprisingly Lady Aelswith, who had said it was good for a lady to learn her letters, and had proved to be a quick study). After dropping them off there, they would be making their way to Coccham.

For now, they were stopping to make camp in the forest of Thatcham.

Solvi helped Eadith and Stiorra cut up and collect some wood for the fires. Meanwhile, she heard Finan say, rather sarcastically, "It's such a privilege to be setting up camp for Lady Aelswith."

"Oh, yes. Edward honors us..." Uhtred spoke, equally as sarcastic. "...escorting his mother."

Gathering up wood for the tents and fires, Sihtric and Finan were off to their own work, Aethelstan trailing them to help. Osferth was taking care of the horses, while Father Pyrlig was starting the fires.

"When I arrive at Bedwyn," Aelswith begins, approaching Uhtred as he worked, "I will offer prayers of thanks on your behalf."

"Yet I fear I will not be thankful."

"God worked through you, Uhtred." Aelswith spoke righteously, "You did not make your sacrifice alone."

"It was no sacrifice, no blood was spilt." He stood up, "Pyrlig, flint!"

"Yet you gave what was most precious to you to the Mercian people." Aelswith continues, undeterred. "And for that, I will always be grateful."

"Are you Lady Aelswith's man now?" Pyrlig asked lowly as the two men exchanged the flint.

"If you would turn to Christ, perhaps, I could find a way to reward you properly."

"Then I shall go un-rewarded. I will not pretend a faith I do not have."

"Whilst it is unlikely that you and I will be friends..." Aelswith trails off, "I do now see how you might be of use to me."

"That is indeed touching." Uhtred jokes.

"I meant in accomplishing the work my husband started. I know now that it means something to you... and I thought, if we could work together, then perhaps..."

"I cannot be part of your plan. I have my own children to look to. With an additional one, it seems," Uhtred sighs, eyes searching and then finding Solvi, who was with Aethelstan, the two looking at a harmless bug she had found.

"Speaking of Solvi," Aelswith begins anew, "I noticed that she and Aethelstan are particularly fond of one another. She seems quite protective of him."

"She is," Uhtred acknowledged. "Why the sudden interest?"