16

( 𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐑 ! )
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
THE HUNT, OR HUNTED?
﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Solvi adapted to life in Rumcofa easily, the trio of her, Aethelstan, and Cynlaef thick as thieves once more as they caused trouble and awaited the hunt and festivities of the Blood Month Festival.

It was on the morning of the hunt that Solvi dressed in her red long-sleeved tunic under another dark grey shirt with shorter sleeves, doing her best to layer for the cold that invaded Rumcofa in this month as they welcomed winter, with a pair of charcoal black breeches. Her black leather jerkin, inlaid with warm fur, quickly secured over her shirts as a means of some basic armor for a hunt. She was just tying the laces of her boots when the door to her room opened, and Cynlaef shoved Aethelstan into the room, before entering himself and shutting the door from the cold.

"Morning, Sunshine," Cynlaef grinned cheekily, teeth still slightly chattering from the cold early morning. "Miss me?"

"It's too bad you're such a slow riser," Solvi mocks, "I'm already dressed, you missed quite the view."

"Didn't answer my question," Cynlaef persisted.

Solvi's answer was the roll of her eyes as she stood up. "As if I would miss you. What are you doing in my room?"

"Just wanted to see if you were up," Aethelstan spoke calmly, soft smile alighting his face, growing by the second in his own excitement and anticipation for the hunt later that day.

"I am up, as you can see," Solvi gestured to herself, smiling at the boy as she stepped closer to him. "What do you want?"

"A kiss would be preferred," Cynlaef said as he sat down at the chair in front of her fireplace. "How are you not cold in here?" He complained of her low fire.

"You whine more than a baby. If you are cold then add more wood." Solvi retorted, "I am not your mother nor am I a servant."

"Did you sleep well?" Aethelstan asked softly as they watched Cynlaef grumble to himself as he added more wood and got comfortable in the chair in front of the fire, wholly satisfied with himself.

"I did," Solvi admitted, enjoying this moment between the two of them. "The gods have given me a break from the visions, if only for the night."

. . .

It was later as the day was soon to come to a close with the sunset that they had all gathered in the square, Aethelstan wearing the pelt of a deer with furs sown to it, antlers and all. It gave Solvi pause when he'd put it on though, reminding her of the visions of a hunt she had seen.

Was Aethelstan the deer?

But she hadn't had time to think much of it before Cynlaef had pushed a mug of ale into her hands as the crowd around them cheered while they all celebrated for the upcoming hunt. Getting hyped up for the hunt and expressing their enthusiasm.