14

( 𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐑 ! )
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
WELCOME TO RUMCOFA
﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Travel had been fast, without much trouble. She was only accompanied by a small guard, two warriors under Jorvik's command. Solvi had missed the traveling in her journey from Jorvik down to the north-western outskirts of Mercia and Northumbria, where Rumcofa was located. Being out in the open air, gazing out into the night sky full of stars, under the light of the moon. Sure, they had traveled around their lands that they controlled, but this was different. It reminded her of the time they'd been traveling the countryside during the unrest of the Mercian succession, when she'd first gotten close to Aelfwynn and Aethelstan.

The night before her arrival into Rumcofa, however, was plagued by visions. Much the same as the one she'd had before leaving Jorvik, confusing and unclear. Leaving her with more questions than there were answers. She saw that elk being hunted in the forest, which had jolted her awake as it was slaughtered, weirdly enough the slaughter of pigs (or had it been a boar?) as it squealed.  She just assumed she was witnessing glimpses into the near future of the great hunting they'd be doing for the Blood Month festivities. Perhaps she'd get a drink of some of it to clear her visions. The spell she had tried with nature, one she had learned as a child to clear her mind and focus on the visions, was not working as well as she had hoped.

Riding into the village, Solvi's grin grew as she saw Uhtred standing there with Finan, Sihtric and Osferth. Flying from her saddle, Solvi laughed as she tackled the men into her embrace one after another, squealing when she was twirled around as they laughed heartily.

"Look at how you've grown," Uhtred spoke softly, smiling at her gently. "You are a woman, when did you become a woman?"

Solvi laughed, "It's nice to see you, too, Uhtred."

"How is Stiorra? Sigtryggr? They are well?"

Solvi nodded, smile softening, "They are well and happy. We live in peace."

Things had been rough when Stiorra's daughter died. For everyone. It had been the rare time when Uhtred and his men had come to Jorvik, with Aethelstan, and spent time with the grieving couple. Stiorra had been inconsolable, and Sigtryggr had been the grimest Solvi had ever seen. A broken man he had been, as he walked the halls of their home, just as Stiorra had been a broken woman. Uhtred's main concern had been his daughter, but he had also been a great comfort to Sigtryggr, who had no family in this land, other than Stiorra and Solvi, and the men who had been loyal to him for years. But they had reforged themselves, clinging to each other ever more. A true love to witness, one Solvi wished to one day emulate.

"I am glad to hear this," Uhtred speaks, before saying, "Stay as long as you wish. It has been long since you have joined us here."

"Look at you!" Finan says in awe, almost in a fatherly way, as he pushes Uhtred out of the way to take a look at Solvi, "I remember when you were a scrawny little thing, all bones and fighting like a wild wolf, and now look at you. Still short I see!" He laughed rambunctiously while Solvi rolled her eyes, smile lingering.

"It's good to see you, too, Finan." Solvi hugs the man, before pulling back, "Started drinking ale without me? Already?"

"I'll have you know, this is only my second pint of ale!"

Solvi grinned, before hugging Sihtric, "It is good to see you, Solvi." The Dane man smiled down at her gently, in a way that had always brought a calm sense of comfort to the girl.

"You, as well," She looked around, "How're the children?"

"Too many to keep track of!" Finan joked, to another round of laughter.

"They are well. Wild with limitless energy," Sihtric smiled happily.

And then she looked around, "Where's Aethelstan?"

"He should be back soon." Uhtred answered, knowing smile growing on his lips, one Solvi tried to ignore. "He went out with Osferth and Cynlaef." Solvi nodded, trying to hide her small disappointment that she would have to wait to see him. "Come, let us get you inside,"

"And with some ale!"

. . .

Solvi walked down the path into town, after the men had pulled her escorts away to the tavern for some ale, admiring the scenery she hadn't seen in a long time. The men were long gone, drunk or getting there. She didn't notice when Osferth arrived, but he hadn't stayed long anyway, pulled away by a woman and not to be seen for the rest of the night, apparently, if the jokes from Finan and Sihtric were anything to go by.

She cringed at the thought, unable to reconcile that knowledge with the gentle man who had read her, Aethelstan, and Aelfwynn to sleep at night in Saltwich.

She'd seen Cynlaef around, but no sight of Aethelstan, which had been disheartening. She let the feelings fade, though, not wanting to become upset over it. Perhaps Stiorra was right. Maybe she had been foolish to believe their friendship could have stayed the same. Maybe he had already been stolen by another. Or maybe she was the childish one to hold onto such a naive promise they had made as kids.

The night sky was beautiful, so clear, the stars shining so brightly. The moon was high in the sky, and Solvi sat down at the end of the dock as she looked out at the sea before her. The breeze was cold, with the coming winter, but the ale she had consumed earlier provided a little extra warmth in her veins.

Closing her eyes, Solvi inhaled deeply the salt air, exhaling slowly as she opened her eyes once more, her spirits disappointedly not as uplifted as she had wanted them to be.

"I thought I would find you here," came a soft-spoken voice, tainted with a rasp she could easily recognize.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏