12. The Beach

Kari's POV:

"Yah! Don't go into the water. Do you have spare clothes?" I shout, standing on the beach while Zuha is busy playing in the sea. "I do. I brought yours too."

We're finally at the beach. It's been two days since we came to Jeju. And our teachers are definitely doing a great job showing us around. Eunchae has been hanging out with Hiyyih. Don't know how they became friends, but they get along. She's now a really good friend of Soobin and Yeonjun too. That's an advantage because literally everyone is scared of the house rep, Yeonjun.

And Jeongin has been doing... I don't know what the hell he's up to! He keeps disappearing.

Zuha is busy with her newly found boyfriend. Unexpectedly, Jiwook seems to be a nice one. He's friendly. She says he looks like a puppy. I'm surprised how they started dating on the day they met.

I can't ever do that. "Ahh!" I hear a muffled yelp, and I turn around surprised and worried but ended up frowning. "Why do you look like that?"

It's Hyunjin. And the most ridiculous thing I've seen today. He's wearing goggles that are gobbling up his face 'cause they're extra large. And a big duck swimming tube around him, one more around his hands. A hand of his sleeveless tee seems to be slipping off because of the weight he's bearing, revealing his bare shoulder.

He stumbled over a rock while running. It took almost two minutes for him to get back on his feet. I kept staring at him the whole time like he was the weirdest guy I've ever seen. And he is. He's probably giving me a mean look. But I can't quite see his expression due to his big blue goggles. "Ugh!" He groans shaking his head and walking away.

My eyes follow where he goes. And to my surprise, every one of his friends looks like that. It was Felix's plan, I assume. He looks the most excited while others look so embarrassed to even show their face.

"Isn't it weird?" A voice asks beside me. "Yeah, he is," I answer staring at Hyunjin.

"Who?" Minho asks. "No one." I turn my head to him. "What were you talking about?"

"Hyunjin." He says, "While coming here in the boys' bus, I ended up sitting beside him because I couldn't find Jeongin. And you know what we talked about?"

"Jisung, obviously." I shrug.

"You're first in the class for a reason." He says, "Do you remember why he broke up with me?"

"He thought you were cheating on him with the girl you work with at the café," I answer.

"Yeah," Minho sighs. "And I don't believe him. He would never think that."

"That's why you guys-"

"But that's not the reason." He starts. "That Hyunjin somehow slipped that Jisung is not over me."

"Uhh... yeah 'cause he thinks you're the one at fault."

"No, he also said that Jisung misses me and feels sorry for me. Then he gasped dramatically as if he said something private."

I think for a bit looking at the campfire at a distance. Everyone is slowly gathering there. And, Jisung too.

"Minho, let's go there." I pull his sleeve dragging him to people.

"What! No! He's there." He pulls away stopping midway.

"If you really think something feels off, well, get close to him and talk!"

~

The sun is setting. And I'm lying on the sand looking at the prettiest sky right at this time. When I close my eyes and the cold breeze from the ocean is hitting my face, the thought in my mind was 'Only if my whole life is as smooth as this wind'.