A NEW START

I am twenty-four years old and am currently studying Art at Aberystwyth University. I moved here from California about two years ago.

I remember Mum and Dad being devastated, when I told them that I was moving away from California. But after a little persuasion, they understood why I wanted to move to Aberystwyth.

"I guess you're just following in our footsteps, Riley," I remember my mum smiling slightly, still sad that I was leaving.

When they were about my age, they both moved from Sydney to California to start their careers. My mum opened an art gallery there, which is now the talk of America. She has a lot of tourists from other places in the US who come to her gallery, to look at the paintings she has created. I guess I got my artistic hands from her.

My dad, on the other hand, is a bank manager for one of the biggest banks in the world. But he does not like to brag about it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was not easy to leave my parents and move to the other side of the world, miles and miles away from them. But we promised each other that we would come and visit as often as we could and to talk on the phone whenever we could. It can sometimes be a little difficult to talk to your parents on the phone, when there is an eight-hour difference between California and Aberystwyth.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When I was young, my mum used to draw a lot with me, which inspired me to get interested in art. So, it has been my dream for as long as I can remember to study art and hopefully one day become a really famous artist like Van Gogh or Picasso.

I chose Aberystwyth University, because on the one hand I wanted to travel the world and get to see what it was like to live in Wales, which has always fascinated me with its beautiful landscapes and open fields, which are a great inspiration for drawing. On the other hand, the main building of the university, where the art faculty is located, overlooks Cardigan Bay, which is just beautiful.

But I have also wanted to live in Aberystwyth for as long as I can remember. The main reason for this is that Aberystwyth is a place full of artistic culture. For example, there is the Aberystwyth Arts Centre, where artists can spend their time painting and making ceramic figurines. Aberystwyth is also home to the National Library of Wales, which is filled with all kind of art, paintings or portraits by famous Welsh artists, such as Mary Lloyd Davis, Ceri Richards or Kyffin Williams. Aberystwyth is full of artistic inspiration and Aberystwyth's University has one of the best art courses in the world. This is also the reason why I plan to find a real home there. I have been saving up especially for this for years now. I know my parents were not very happy when I first told them that I not only wanted to study there but wanted to spend the rest of my life there as well. But their own experiences have helped them come around and support me as much as they can.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So, for the past two years, I have been living in a student residence right by the university.

My flatmate Layla, with whom I have shared the flat all this time, has decided that she now wants her boyfriend to move in with her.

And the place is definitely too small for three people, so she kindly has asked me if I was not thinking of getting my own place to stay. I must have been moaning a lot about the lack of space in my room.

Also, Layla and I never really got on very well either, so we mostly just tried to stay out of each other's way.

Basically, the only reason I live in this place is because it is very close to the university, so I do not need a car or a bus ticket for that matter either. It also allows me to save my money for more important things that I need for my art classes or just to draw in my spare time when I feel like it.

Well, I guess it might be time for me to find another place to live. My room is getting too small for me too, to be honest. My art equipment takes up most of the space I have in my room, so there is not much room to actually move in.

Thanks to all this equipment, all I have in my room is a bed and a small cupboard to put my clothes in.

So, why not find a bigger place then? Especially also a place to myself. Something I have wanted for quite a while now already. And I would have enough space to hang all my painting, which are currently scattered in a small corner of my room.

Maybe, just maybe, I will stumble across a small house – not too big and certainly not too expensive – with just a small garden. Then I will finally be able to paint outside in peace.

The only time I get to paint outdoors in peace is when I go to the open field that lies just on the outskirts of Aberystwyth. But it is quite a walk and difficult for me to get there when I have to carry all my equipment, such as my stand and a canvas. In such moments I wish I had a car. It would really help to transport all my equipment easily.

But that could be a problem of the past, if only I had a place of my own with a nice little garden. Then I could paint outside whenever I wanted and not even have to go far.

I could even build a small roof over the patio and then buy a special stand for outside and leave it there.

Then all I would need to get from the house would be a canvas and the paint and brushes.

All I need now is to find such a place.

"I can help you try and find a place you can afford," Layla offers, clearly feeling a little guilty for more or less kicking me out of our apartment.

Actually, I did not think that she would even care. But I was clearly mistaken. She is definitely trying to put in some effort, because the next day she turns up with a newspaper full of advertisements for houses and flats for sale in the area.

"Here, I stopped of and got this. Thought it might help."

"Thank you for your help," I say to her with a smile as I take the paper from her and start to flick through it.

"It's the least I can do for you. I never meant to chuck you out. If you want, me and Andy can also find a place for ourselves and you can stay here," she offers, looking at me and smiling slightly.

"Thanks, Layla. It's really nice of you, but don't worry about it," I answer smiling back.

Suddenly my eye catches something on the page in front of me.

Property auction starting on the 6th June 2019.

House being sold with no reserve. There is no minimum bid for this property. The house is fully furnished and has a garden with a beautiful view of Aberystwyth below. Contact details below if you would like to view the property before the auction.

"Perfect", I say aloud.

"What is it? Did you find something", Layla says in a shaky voice. I must have made her jump.

"Yes, this is it", I say, looking pleased. "I will call them right away."

Layla looks at the article and at the photo underneath, which I had not even seen in my excitement.

"You want to live there?" she looks shocked.

"Yeah, what's wrong with it?" I ask.

"Well, it definitely looks like a haunted house to me in the picture. It is completely broken, and it looks like the place has been empty for centuries."

"Well, it's only a picture. Maybe it was taken from a bad angle. I will take a look at it all the same", I say, after studying the picture carefully.

I know that this is the only possibility I have to get a house all to myself, as I do not have a huge amount of savings to buy a newly built house, for example. Where else could I get a cheaper house without a deposit?

"Okay, it is your choice I guess", Layla answers. "Do you want me to come with you to look at it? Two sets of eyes are usually better than just one."

"Yeah, I would like that. Thanks Layla", I smile at her. Then I pick up the phone and start dialling.