AN INVITATION FROM AN OLD FRIEND - MARKUS

So, I decide to tell three eager listeners my story of how I came to Wales from Germany and even decided to move there before returning back to Germany as an old and retired man. I start by explaining how I met a British officer, James Lewis, during the war and how we became friends, and then I go on to tell them why I came to Wales in the first place.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Three years after James had left Germany, back in March 1947, to return to his country, Wales, I received a letter. It had a Welsh stamp on it and the address of James Lewis was handwritten on the front. I opened it, eager to read what his letter was about. And there was an amazing surprise waiting inside. The letter read:

21st June 1950

Dear Markus,

I hope you are doing well over there in Germany. I am fine and have thought of you a lot. I would really love to show you Wales. I am sure you would love it here. It is all full of countryside and quiet and relaxing for the most part.

I will come straight to the point. I have decided to invite you over here to my home town of Llandrindod Wells. I have enclosed all the train and ferry tickets that you will need to get to Llandrindod Wells. The tickets are for the 18th of July. I will now explain in detail how to get here.

First of all, you will need to take the train from Cologne to Boulogne in France at four in the morning. The train takes approximately seven hours and twenty minutes, so you should arrive in Boulogne at around twenty past eleven. You will then directly board the ferry at Boulogne-sur-Mer, which will then take you to the port of Dover. The journey from Boulogne-sur-Mer to Dover takes about an hour and a half, so you should arrive in Dover at about ten to twelve English time, which is an hour earlier than in Germany. I will only be listing the English times next, so you won't get confused. Just remember that it is an hour earlier than the time in Germany. Next, you will need to take the train from Dover Priory to London St Pancras International station, which will take round about an hour. Once in London, take the underground from London St Pancras International to London Paddington. However, you will have to wait a quarter of an hour for the tube and the journey will only take a quarter of an hour. This means that you should arrive at London Paddington station by twenty past one in the afternoon. From London Paddington, you will need to take The Great Western Main Line all the way to Bristol Temple Meads, the terminus of the line. This will take you an hour and a half and you should arrive at the Bristol Temple Meads station around ten to three in the afternoon. From there, you will need to change carriages and take the Great Western Railway to Newport, a 40 minute journey. At half past three, take The Welsh Marches Line to Carven Arms station, arriving about an hour and a half later at five o'clock. Here, after an approximate 20 minute wait, you will need to board the last train, the Heart of Wales line, which will take you to Llandrindod Wells. If all goes to plan, you should arrive in Llandrindod Wells at twenty past six. I will be waiting at the station to pick you up and take you back to my place, where you can then settle in, and I will show you around Llandrindod Wells the next day.

Please do give me a quick call if you are coming. The number to call is 01597224673.

Hope to see you then.

Your friend

James Lewis

I could hardly believe what I was reading. James wanted me to come and visit him in Wales and that on the 18th of July, just one day after the letter arrived. This meant, I had to start packing straight away and I had to phone James to let him know I was coming. He was delighted to hear this and could not wait to see me again.