Twenty-four - Intransigent

I have a feeling we're not on Mustafar anymore.
Year 12

—————

Anakin

The endless planet of sand looms closer, a place that holds some of my best and worst memories. A part of me will always hate Tatooine; it's not even worth hiding. That's what the Jedi do, not me. They didn't control their emotions; they hid them. Ignored them.

Yes, I'll always despise the planet and what it stands for.

But I'd fly here every day if I could. I would hang out on Alderaan, too—but that's not much of a hardship. I want to know the twins. I want to teach them. Their safety means more, though. That will never change. I will never ask them to fight. It's bad enough Leia is right on track for becoming a senator one day.

I land the ship and watch for a moment, understanding Luke isn't home. I feel him, but he's not close. Eventually, Beru comes out of the house and waves up at the ship, shaking me from my runaway thoughts. With a long sigh, I drop the ramp and go out to meet her.

"Hello, Anakin. Is everything alright?" She looks concerned, but she looks happy to see me.

"Is Obi-Wan around?" I can't find it in me to return the smile.

"He should be back with Luke soon. Owen went to get some supplies; he likely won't be back until the suns set."

I nod and rub at my face. "Everything is fine," I say, if only to ease some of the panic she's beginning to feel. "Kat received some injuries but will heal."

"Oh, no. I'm glad she is okay," she says with sincerity, but her worry doesn't fade. "Is she with you? Is she still in danger?"

"Yes and no. She was stranded in the wilderness. It's a long story." I sigh, my body suddenly weary. "I simply don't have the time to teach her these things, Beru. She should have been able to simply survive, but she knows nothing of life outside of four walls."

"I see," she says with some caution. "And you think she might learn some skills here? In this rough place?"

"No. Well, yes, but that isn't why I brought her. I'm hoping Obi-Wan can help her. Surely Luke would learn something as well."

She nods lightly. "I'm sure he'd be happy to. And Luke will enjoy having another person around." She does not say he will enjoy having Kitten around, but we both know it's what she means. Luke has attached to her like glue. None of us know if it's healthy, but none of us seem to have time to analyze it. If he sees her as a mother figure, that is his business. Kitten will not let him down.

"Thank you." It's all I can think to say.

"Come on," she says. "Go get her, I'll get a bed made up and some food ready for her."

I nod and go to get her, picking her up gently and cradling her. I'm sort of glad it is just Beru. She doesn't need to ask a hundred questions, like Luke. She doesn't look at me like it is all my fault, like Owen. And she doesn't have that tiny look of concern like Obi-Wan, as if it is all his fault.

She has a little cot already pulled out and half made up, and I wait another minute before putting her limp body down.

She barely left my arms before Luke's voice comes from outside.

"Father! Father!" he calls excitedly as he bursts into the house. He comes to a screeching stop when he sees the three of us, Beru and I standing on either side of Kitten.

"Kat!" he shrieks, the word coming out so fast it sounded like 'kit.'

"She's alright, Luke," Beru soothes and motions for me to lead Luke away. I hear her behind me, but Luke's eyes are as wide as can be, a bit of his color gone. He does have my eyes, I realize. I wonder if his hair will remain that light. Under these two suns, probably.