Chapter 21

Sewell's P. O. V

I slightly furrowed my brows in thought when my mate hasn't shown up since she went to the washroom. I wonder what was taking her so long and I was tempted to follow her. For some reason, I felt like something was up and that thing isn't something I was going to like. I was so lost in thoughts that I didn't know that she was back until she sat beside me, I sighed in relief seeing she is alright but just as I was relaxing the devil decided to visit me.

My wolf Zane stirred in irritation when he noticed who was sitting in front of me and Zara. The devil was carrying a glass of wine with her which she sipped with her bitches behind her.

"Do you like my gift?" She asked looking at my mate with a smug expression whiles I and his friends gave her a questioning gaze. "You're something. Since you've decided not to reply, I will help you myself," she added turning to a clueless me.

"So Sewell, when do you plan to tell your little mate why you always have on the mask," Laura asked and my stomach churned in dread and fear. "Laura," I growled in a warning tone, an action Laura chuckled at. She laughed at how tensed I was, clearly enjoying my actions.

"Why are you afraid of being exposed? I mean, I'm just helping you out here, let's see if your bond can stand the bitter truth. You always hide it and make your mates fall for you before telling them," Laura taunted me but that was true. Who will want a mate like me? I was beyond repair, it would only take a few more years for me to become a complete monster.

"Leave her out of this. I will tell her myself," I growled in a warning tone, by now everyone was surrounding us. Everyone wanted to know what was going on, which gave Laura the vim to proceed.

At this point I was filled with fear, fear of feeling the pain of rejection but for some pathetic sick reason, I had hope somewhere in me, that everything will be fine but I know it will only take a few minutes for that hope to be crashed.

"What do you think he's hiding because I didn't receive your gift," I heard Zara interrupt our conversation with a clueless tone. I knew immediately that I was screwed.

"Why don't Sewell here take off his mask for you to see? Or ask him why half of his face is hidden behind a golden mask?" Laura said sipping her wine while I visibly tensed at her statement. I didn't want my mate to see that part of me, no I didn't want her to be haunted by my horrible appearance.

"Laura, this isn't fair and you know it. Why are you so hellbent on destroying his source of happiness? He never wronged you," Paul said in agitation, I felt slightly comforted for having him as a friend. He's always honest when it comes to our friendship, Lincoln is the same. Something they inherited from their parents.

"Please, Zara don't listen to her. She's being delusional," Lincoln told my mate with pleading eyes, and again I was glad he was also here because if not for them I would have lost it long ago.

"I want to see your face, Sel," my mate said looking at me as I tensed up more hearing her words, I  stood up with shaky breath. I pushed the chair back and walked at least five steps from her as I stood up and faced her, I didn't want to be too close to her now. I can't help but regret not telling her before this but there's no other way to get out of this. Laura won again.

"I'm sorry, I never meant for it to be like this, Zara," I  said with thick emotions in my eyes, I couldn't control my emotions, they were too much but she ignored my words.  Well, I knew she wouldn't let me off without me telling him the. I slowly slipped my mask off, using the last bit of strength to still look into her beautiful eyes. Zara was gasping for breath as she kept looking at my half-wounded face which was fresh and had never healed before, sadness and shame washed over me as she stared at me without a word. Her face was expressionless as she kept looking at me with her thick brows furrowed together.