Chapter 20

Audrey's POV

Glass shattered everywhere. I don't remember how I got so much glass but I do remember throwing it. I remember I had his phone in one hand and the first glass in the other. I didn't even blink when cuts formed all over my legs and ankles from the glass that shattered on the floor.

"YOU FUCKIN BITCH!" I was being picked up and hauled out the club from all the commotion as I cried, "YOU GOT THAT BITCH PREGNANT!"

Tobias had blood dripping down his face from a cut above his eyebrow. Rage was clear in his eyes as he followed us out the club. The second my feet were placed on the ground his hands were around my throat but that didn't phase me as I swung for my life.

"YOU AINT SHIT TO ME!"

"Audrey." I remember for a split second I started to see black. "Audrey, your phone," a hand was placed on my shoulder jolting me out of my sleep.

Ms. Yolanda sat next to me with a perturbed expression. I glanced down at my phone directly in front of me and rolled my eyes to see another series of texts from Piper. Yes, I'm mad at her so I'm only addressing her by her legal name.

"Sorry. I thought I had it on silent." I cleared my throat since it was a lot drier than usual.

I sat up straight, realizing I was in the small break room. It was one of those rare occasion that I caught an empty seat and decided to pull it around the table so that my back was to the door.

Once situated, I manage to fall asleep without slouching over. A hidden talent I discovered a while ago–falling asleep sitting upright, standing or even with my eyes open if I'm tired enough. I discovered this one winter when it was no food in the house, my dad was gone and I was dead broke. Until midnight of course when my check cleared. I got off work, used my last $20 to get a pizza and then sat up all night waiting for a check that took two hours longer than it usually does.

It was stressful but I knew I had bills I needed to pay and groceries I needed first thing in the morning. That check was spent before it even settled. That was the day I realized a second job is necessary.

"Are you okay honey?"

"I'm fine." I yawned. "Just tired. Maleah had her senior trip today, they went to Key West."

Unfortunately for me, for said trip I had to be up early to drop Maleah off at her school by 5 AM. On the way home I got a flat tire and had to wait on the side of the road until a tow truck was available, making me late this morning.

"Oh wow, I bet that is nice." Ms. Yolanda grins briefly but the smile didn't meet her eyes. "You do look tired, Audrey. Maybe you shouldn't be working today."

I shook my head. "It's fine–I'm fine. I'll probably take a power nap before going in the hotel anyway."

That answer didn't sway any of her concerns as she places her hand gently onto my arm.

"I'm having a hard time believing you. What's really going on?" I sighed as she continued, "I didn't want to bring this up but how are feeling after seeing Tobias?"

I frowned. Since seeing Tobias its like he open the flood gate to all the memories I had locked away for good. I've been hardly getting sleep because when I do, I see his face. Or worse, I'm reliving the lengths I went through for him.

"Are you having those dreams again?" She spoke up again. I shook my head instantly but I could tell she knew I was lying. "Audrey, I know you. I've seen this look before with you. Talk to me."