Chapter 23

Jonah's POV

It's June 1st and it feels like the official declaration of summertime. Traffic was picking up around the city and the sun has been getting hotter. Which is fine by me because I love a good bright day like today. I had just stopped by the gas station–per Audrey's request–to get a bag of ice and drinks. With today being the twin's last day of school and Field Day I'm probably way more excited for today than I should be, but I've never participated in a Field Day.

I called Audrey last night just to go over what to expect today. I'm pretty sure I started to annoying her after asking what should I bring for the fifth time. Initially she kept telling me nothing since she already had anything we would need including lawn chairs and a cooler. Eventually she caught on to me not taking "nothing" as an option and shot me a text of items to get.

Throwing the bag of ice up on my shoulder and carrying the bag of supplies in the other, I made my way up to Audrey's driveway just as she swung her front door open.

"Jonah." She gasps as she stood by the entrance before me. I smirk and drop the bag of ice onto the ground. "What do you have on?"

"Oh this?" I chuckle standing proudly in my white t-shirt the read Elyse & Elijah's Field Day in tie dye. "Or this?" I spun around to the back to show off the design for #TEAMRED&BLUE.

"Oh my." She laughs stepping closer to me. "You even put their old nick name on it. Aww."

"Of course. I had to represent!" I chuckle admiring the smile on her face. "But if you think this is too much." I reached down to reveal the bag full of custom shirts. "I got the whole gang one."

"Jonah!" She exclaims this time clutching her stomach as she leans into me laughing hysterically. "I'm not putting that on."

"Oh yes you are."

Audrey shakes her head while wiping the few tears the sat at the rim of her eyes.

"When did you have time to do this?"

"Oh I ordered these the night Elyse asked me to come." I say proudly, Audrey snorts. "What?" I chuckle. "I told you I never been to one of these and I want the full experience."

"And I love that for you but its just a day spent outside in the heat. Nothing special really."

I shrug. "Anything involving you is special to me." I confess feeling my cheeks heat in realization. Fuck. Tim would be on my ass right now.

Audrey scrunches her nose up to fight the goofy grin spreading on her lips. Shaking her head she steps up and takes a shirt out of my bag.

"I guess I can change really quickly." She sighs as I smile in triumph. "We need to hurry though. My cousins are already on the way to the school and I need to finish packing the cooler."

She throws the shirt over her shoulder and take my hand leading us through the front door. This being my second time in her house and I was already getting a sense of familiarity. Even though I never been towards the back or any of the back rooms. I kind of sensed that Audrey doesn't want me to see anything past the front main areas.

She walks us into the kitchen where Maleah was drying out the cooler on the counter. When she notices me she smiles and I swear I see the similarities between her and Audrey. They share the same eyes and smile. I could only assume that they get it from their mom since unlike most homes there was no family portraits on the walls. There are paintings and bibles scriptures next to a few baby pictures of what I could assume to be the twins and Maleah but that's it.

"I'll be back." Audrey says as she disappears down the back hall. I nod.

"Hey Jo." Maleah waves.

"Hey," I grin bumping her hip. "Are you ready for your graduation this weekend?"