Ghetto Fest

Lily's POV

I couldn't get what I overheard Javi saying to himself the other day in the hall. I feel like the real problem isn't me, it's his father. Now even if Javi and I were on speaking terms he would never tell why his dad went to jail. But I knew someone who would.

I knock on Javi's door.

Juan: Oh hey Lily, Javi isn't here right now.

Lily: That's ok I wanted to talk to you.

Juan: Really? Ok then.

He lets me in.

Juan: So what's up?

He flops down on the couch.

Lily: I need to know why your dad went to jail.

He sits back up.

Juan: Didn't Javi tell you?

Lily: Nope.

Juan: Look if he didn't tell you I don't think I should. I mean you're like a sister to me but-

????: He can't tell you because they barely know themselves.

We both turn around, Miguel is standing behind us.

Juan: Then enlighten us old man.

Miguel: Didn't I tell you to watch how you spoke to me? Ok, when I went to jail Javi was like seven which would have made you ten. I got laid off a job and we couldn't live off of just your mom's pay cheque. Things got really bad and money got really tight until one day I met this guy at a bar wanted to pay me to go on vacation.

Juan: Hold up, you got a free vacation and you didn't take us.

Miguel: Can you let me tell the damn story?

Juan: Sorry, dang.

Miguel: The catch was that I had to bring something back over for the guy's friend. So I did it and I got paid for it.

Lily: So you trafficked drugs.

Miguel: Sweetie I didn't just traffic drugs soon I started selling them. By Javi's eighth birthday I was running a trap house full time. It was hard keeping a secret as big as running a trap house.

Juan: I worked it out for myself when you came to my career's day at school and wrote the chemical equation for lean on the board.

Miguel: I thought I told you not to interrupt me? Running a trap house is pretty stressful too especially when your family want to know where you've been and why we suddenly have money. So I started to beat Javi and Juan's Mom. Fast forward a year later, I get busted, wind up in jail and my family start a new life without me here.

Juan: So you knew what you was doing to Mom was wrong but you still did it?

Miguel ignores Juan.

Miguel: So Lily, since I answered your question why don't you answer mine?

Lily: Sure.

Miguel: What's wrong with my son?

Juan: I'm fine dad.

Miguel: I meant Javi. He never comes down from dinner and we always hear banging and screaming from his room. At first I thought it was you but..

I knew Javi would never forgive me if I told his family the truth so I just told a lie.

Lily: I don't know he seems fine at school. Where is he anyway?