Chapter 18

The Empress Dowager looked closely at the report The Office of Careful Punishment's report.

"Prisoner Mo Qiao beat Su Enlai to death before the interrogation could finish. Before his death, Su Enlai refused to confess to his crimes under harsh interrogation,"

Sighing, she handed the report to Jerjer, "Would you consider that justice?" She asked.

"Your Highness, that eunuch died a miserable death. The guards said that what was left didn't even look human. His Majesty said that what was left would be cut to pieces and fed to wild dogs. If it's not justice, then it's at least karma," said Jerjer.

Were the calamities in the back palace The Empress Dowager's karma?

"The master from Tanzhe temple will be coming here to bless the palace soon?" Asked The Empress Dowager.

"Yes, he'll be here to bless you and Cininggong personally tomorrow. Then he'll lead a prayer at Dafuge for your prosperity, peace, and blessings," said Jejer.

"Perhaps, a priest isn't all we need," said The Empress Dowager,  "His Majesty should send for a shaman,"

Jerjer paused, "You think this is the work of witchery?"

"That woman," hissed The Empress Dowager, "Dragged a curse in here with her. How else could you explain these events happening one right after the other?"

A darkness crept into the Forbidden City the moment The Emperor announced Xiang gui ren's arrival. The twilight years of peace and power that The Empress Dowager was promised were dashed to pieces. Had there been a few scuffles here and there since His Majesty's crowning? Of course! But nothing so unsightly.  The Empress Dowager turned her nose at the plate of fresh cantaloupe Jerjer presented to her.

"Get rid of it. I'm so full of anger it'll turn to ash in my stomach,"

"Even so, this cantaloupe would have an honorable end," replied Jerjer. 

"His Majesty is here, Your Highness," a eunuch announced.

"Come to bring me more bad news?" The Empress Dowager asked after he sat down.

"On the contrary," said The Emperor, "The Empress told me that Fan gui ren is pregnant,"

"You call that good? Your Majesty, it's been two years since the last Imperial Heir was born. There are so many fresh young flowers in your garden. Why must you stay on the same old path?"

The Emperor bowed his head, "The path is familiar, and if I walk long enough, it bears fruit,"

"When was the last time one of your familiars bore fruit?" Asked The Empress Dowager.

She shook her head before The Emperor could answer, "Forget it. You're The Emperor. Don't bother listening to this old hag,"

"Royal mother's counsel is more precious than gold. Your son will always listen,"

The Empress Dowager fiddled with her nail guards, "You look at ease today. Xiang gui ren is fine then?"

She didn't care, but it felt polite to ask.

"Recovering," replied The Emperor with a curled fist, "De gui fei is watching over her in Chengqiangong,"

"You've made up your mind on what to do with Jiang pin, then?" She asked, "Certainly not a demotion so soon. Small-minded people will call you unfilial,"

"I know. She'll be on house arrest until after the new year, and then I plan to demote her to a commoner,"

The Emperor's declaration startled The Empress Dowager, "You don't think that's too harsh?" She asked, "Xiang gui ren is only a commoner herself!"