Chapter 23

The first thought in Jiayi's mind on her 19th birthday is panic. The night before, she settled on the floor by Xiang gui ren's bed. Usually, Jiayi would wake up when she felt her mistress shift in bed. Today, she woke up to sunlight bearing down on her, which was strange because Xiang gui ren's bedroom window only had so much sunlight during midmorning. Jiayi stumbled to her feet, wiped the sleep from her eyes, and searched for Xiang gui ren. Hopefully, she wasn't too upset.

In the receiving room, Xiang gui ren was sewing while Molan, Ping'er, and Pi'er were untangling spools of thread quietly. Thunder was snuffling at Xiang gui ren's feet.

Xiang gui ren put down her work when she caught sight of Jiayi, "Aiyo, the birthday girl decided to join us. How does it feel to be 19?"

"Good?"

Jiayi didn't feel all that different now that she was a year older.

"Is that a question? What I wouldn't do to be 19 again," said Xiang gui ren, "Back then, my knees didn't sound like a bag of marbles every time I stood up,"

Jiayi sat down and reached for some thread, "I'm sorry I woke up late,"

"We did that on purpose," said Molan as she tugged the thread away, "It's your birthday, and mistress is kind enough to let you relax,"

"I don't need to relax," said Jiayi, "It's just a day like any other,"

Xiang gui ren shook her head, "Wei Jiayi, I didn't know you could be so ungrateful. I order you to sit there and relax,"

"What if you need something?" Asked Jiayi.

"I'm sure the girls can handle fetching me tea and walking in the garden and other fantastic activities, Jiayi," said Xiang gui ren, "Just sit there and be good,"

Be good? What did that mean?

Jiayi jumped as a pair of hands covered her eyes. Judging by giggling in her ear, it was Molan.

"Surprise!"

When Jiayi was finally allowed to see, the table was filled with food. Braised fish, pork belly, dumplings, and longevity noodles!

"Mistress, is this for me?" Asked Jiayi.

"Who else could it be for?" Replied Xiang gui ren, "Those three over there cooked all morning in jiejie's little kitchen to make this,"

All Jaiyi could only stand and give Molan, Pie'er, and Ping'er long, hard hugs. Sinjeku didn't get longevity noodles. It had been so long since she'd had a bowl.

Jiayi sat down and pulled the bowl close, "This is so much food. You guys should eat with me. It's more fun that way,"

They all refused until Jiayi began to plate up their food for them. Thunder got a small plate as well. It was only fair. Jiayi still couldn't return to her usual duties when their bellies were full. It was time for gifts. From Xiang gui ren, Jiayi received five bolts of fabric that were too fine for everyday wear and one piece of Lajian paper*. Molan, Pie'er, and Ping'er each hand-sewed a fragrance pouch. Each one was unique and one of a kind.

"These must have taken forever," said Jiayi, "I didn't see you make a single stitch!"

She immediately replaced the ones on her hips with her new gifts. Jiayi didn't think the day could get any better, but then Xiang gui ren gifted her a tael of silver.

"Thank you for your grace, mistress, I'll go put it away,"

"Ah! Absolutely not! This is for fun," said Xiang gui ren, "I don't care where you go but you are not to save this money,"