Chapter 30

Xiang gui ren couldn't feel anything close to merriment as The New Year grew closer. It was hard to understand how anyone could. With the days growing more impossibly cold, she had more time alone with her thoughts, even with De gui fei and Yiqiang nearby. In the dark nights, she wondered how a place of such glamor and fortune was so littered with death.

"Mistress, look how handsome Sixth Prince's New Year clothes are," Jiayi said.

They were particularly darling, but Xiang gui ren could sniff out what Jiayi and everyone else were trying to do. But she just wasn't in the mood to cheer up. It didn't help that The Emperor had been too busy at court to flip anyone's tag since Huaguang's death.

"They're very nice," Xiang gui ren replied, "What about everyone else's clothes? Will they be ready in time for the New Year banquet?"

"Of course!" Said Molan, "It'll even be ready for your promotion ceremony!"

The mention of the ceremony once again sent the girls into a tizzy. It was like they were all being promoted!

"I can't stop looking at your chaofu, mistress," said Ping'er, "It's so pretty!"

"It's so soft, too!" Said Pie'er.

They squealed as Bolin pushed the door open and let the winter air burst through the room. Molan slammed the door shut.

"Brr!" Bolin said, shaking off the snow, "It's coming down out there!"

Jiayi took the buckets of charcoal from the eunuch, and Pie'er poured him a hot cup of tea.

"Don't forget to take some for your rooms," said Xiang gui ren as Jiayi put the charcoal away.

"Mistress, I heard some bad news while I was out," said Bolin.

"From the A Ge Sou?" Asked Pie'er.

Xiang gui ren hoped not. Her heart couldn't take another tragedy so soon.

Bolin shook his head, "No, no sicknesses so far. It's Fan gui ren. They say she's not getting any better,"

Molan wrung her hands together, "Isn't she going to give birth soon? If she doesn't get better, what about The Imperial heir?"

Bolin clutched the cup closer to him and shook his head, "We'll just have to wait and see,"

The Empress had forbidden them from gossiping about it, but even De gui fei couldn't resist. It was just too unusual. Fan gui ren was such a healthy young woman, but she grew weaker and weaker as the months went on. It was like the child was sapping the life from her. Besides The Emperor and The Empress, she was too weak to see anyone.

"She's wasting away," De gui fei whispered one  night, "The Imperial Hospital was told that if it came down to her or the Imperial heir, to save the heir first,"

De gui fei didn't need to specify who gave the order. Xiang gui ren knew the logic behind it, but it was still jarring. The Forbidden City lacked for nothing, yet the people here were still bested by fate each time. Thunder rumbled and barked at her feet, begging for attention.

"Yes, yes," Xiang gui ren said, petting the chubby little thing, "Your little master will be home soon,"

Thunder ended up just as attached to Yiqiang as she was. It was ridiculous, really. Yiqiang wasn't her son; she'd only known him for a few months but couldn't help it. She loved him already. It was nice to have something honest to do in this godforsaken city. Something without whispers or sly hands. Just love. However, after Huaguang's death, she cursed herself for it. What would she do if something happened to Yiqiang? How could she possibly fill the hole in her heart? Having these thoughts swirl in her head made Xiang gui ren feel ungrateful. Jiayi's little plan worked, and she was free from The Empress Dowager for good! The victory wasn't as filling as it could've been. One of the reasons Jiayi managed to enrage The Empress Dowager so much was because of Huaguang's death. It was incredibly embarrassing for her to have all her servants arrested and imprisoned. It shouldn't have been possible at her status, and yet, The Empress did it without pause! The old woman was so furious that besides Jerjer gugu, she had all of them executed.