Chapter 35

Prince Han clenched his teeth together to stop sticking his head out the carriage window and asking 'how long' for what seemed like the 30th time. He longed to ground himself by squeezing the handle of his sword, but that was packed away and hidden. Ordinary noblemen didn't carry weapons out in the open.

"Rest assured, my lord, we'll be there soon,"

Prince Han glanced at the bearded man across from him. Imperial guard turned personal bodyguard Chang Lingxiu.

Rubbish.

The idea that he, a prince personally elevated to the Fourth Rank by The Emperor himself, would need a bodyguard was laughable. It was unnecessary. That night was a fluke, an example of him letting his guard down. He understood that without Chang Lingxiu, Jiayi's plan wouldn't have worked, but it didn't make it sting any less. He tried to explain as much to The Emperor, but he didn't make a convincing picture, sick in bed from an overdose. The gift of a personal bodyguard became a decree, and Prince Han had no choice but to obey.

As he was lying in bed in a tonic-induced fever to sweat out the rest of the aphrodisiac, Prince Han replayed the moments leading up to the attack. Family events like the New Year banquet were never his favorite. His elder brothers were only polite to him because of his favor with The Emperor, and making connections and drinking himself senseless was never appealing. A year ago, Prince Han would've only waited for a course or two before thinking up an excuse to leave. But each time he thought of a suitable lie, his eyes strayed across the hall. As it was one of the most auspicious days of the year, the servants were allowed to dress up for the festive occasion. Many maids dolled themselves up in sweet pink or red outfits, peppering their hair with red bows and ribbons.

Jiayi was the odd one out. Instead, she wore a dark green chenyi and a simple red waistcoat lined with white fur. She had fresh pink and red chrysanthemums tucked into the crown of her head. Outside of a simple copper bangle, she only wore the earrings he gifted her for her birthday. He didn't think she ever took them off, and the thought warmed his cheeks and belly.

She was fascinated with the entertainers. Each performance made her eyes glitter with wonder. If something were particularly enticing, her mouth would open wide in shock. Watching Jiayi was so captivating that he never paid much attention to who was refilling his cup with wine. The next thing he knew, it was daylight, and he was lying in bed, Sang'er sobbing over him.

Holed up in his room for days, one thought swirled around his head. Jiayi had rescued him.

"Don't worry, my lord," Chang Lingxiu said, breaking him out of his memories, "Jiayi will be fine,"

"I don't need you to remind me," Prince Han replied.

Prince Han knew he was being snappish and short-tempered, but he couldn't help it. He'd been on the edge from the moment Jiayi agreed to this ridiculous plan.

"His Majesty is sending Jiayi back to her family?" asked Prince Han.

Chang Lingxiu looked taken aback by the intensity of the question but nodded, "Yes. One of Xiang pin's other maids told me. She was a little worried. She says Jiayi's family is always begging her for money,"

Prince Han turned away, watched Yiqiang notch his arrow, and let it fly.

That was an understatement. Jiayi wouldn't survive if she set foot into the Wei estate. When Jiayi told him about the cruelty of her legal mother, he believed her. But after seeing the letters she received from home, he was sure the woman would sell Jiayi off in a heartbeat. Going back there was practically suicide.

"Jiayi!"

Jiayi walked through the training yard, carrying Yiqiang's lunch.

Yiqiang tossed his bow to Sang'er and ran over to her. She smiled down at Yiqiang, but Prince Han could tell it was forced. Prince Han glanced at Sang'er, and the eunuch led Yiqiang away to eat.