Chapter 21

For the first time in weeks, Jiayi felt relaxed. The Emperor was off in the countryside, Su gonggong was dead and gone, and Jiang pin was dealt with. Jiayi's nights still weren't quiet, and if someone moved too fast, she still flinched, but if things kept going the way they were, she could see herself spending the rest of her days like this happily.

Even Xiang gui ren was chipper. Freshly risen from bed, she stared at herself in the mirror, "My bruises look better already. And my face isn't the size of the moon! That Hwang taiyi sure isn't a slacker,"

"Mistress, even with those bruises, you're still the most beautiful woman here," said Molan.

Xiang gui ren snorted, "Goodness, let's go for a walk after breakfast. Pretty's been locked here with me so long that she's gone crazy!"

They dissolved into laughter only to erupt in a cacophony of screams when a raspy voice said,

"I want shark fin soup for breakfast,"

Jiayi's heart leaped to her throat as she twisted around to see Sixth Prince standing behind her.

"Yiqiang?" Asked Xiang gui ren, "What are you doing here?"

This time, they, including Sixth Prince, screamed when Bolin, Pi'er, and Ping'er rushed into the room, hoisting weapons above their heads. Ping'er had chosen a modestly-sized vase, Pie'r, a rug beater, and Bolin had an entire chair.

Sixth Prince scrambled behind Jiayi.

"Aren't you all late?" Asked Xiang gui ren, "If there were a real assassin, I'd be dead two times over!"

The three looked sufficiently cowed.

"Speaking of, how did Yiqiang sneak passed you all?"

Bolin pouted, "Mistress, I've been outside all morning. No one's come in or out,"

"Is Yiqiang a ghost now?" Asked Xiang gui ren.

Jiayi took a long look at Yiqiang. What she thought was a pink tinge of sickness on his face was the flush of sleep. He was in his bedclothes, and his braid was a mess. She crouched down.

"Sixth Prince, did you spend the night here?"

"Yeah. Did the other maid tell you about what to paint on my top? Have you started them?"

Oh no.

"I apologize, I haven't, but I'll start later today," said Jiayi, "Why did Prince Han send you here so late at night? It's so dangerous for you to walk that far on your own,"

Sixth Prince huffed, "Uncle didn't send me here. I came by myself. Everyone was asleep, so I slept in one of De niangniang's rooms. It wasn't scary at all,"

Jiayi's eyes widened.

"Sixth Prince," Molan said, her voice thin, "Are you saying you snuck out in the middle of the night without telling anyone?"

So somewhere across the Forbidden City, the A Ge Suo was in complete panic. Prince Han was probably losing it, and everyone in the room realized it.

"Well!" said Xiang gui ren, "Bolin will get your breakfast. In the meantime, Jiayi, why don't you get a change of clothes from Yiqiang's room?"

And please tell Prince Han that Yiqiang wasn't stolen away in the middle of the night.

Jiaiyi rushed across the Forbidden City, hoping things hadn't gone too far already. However, instead of the chaos she expected, everything was still. No rushing servants, no shouting. The guards at the gates didn't look stressed either.