Not Just Yet Y/N

a/n: this part contains canonical violence... so be warned. and the majority of this chapter is in Kaz's pov :)

"May the Saints receive me," her words came out in a shallow breath. She pressed the tip beneath her breast, between her ribs, an arrow to her heart. Then a hand gripped her wrist painfully, forcing her to drop the blade.

"Not just yet, Y/N."

The rasp of stone on stone. Her eyes flew open. Kaz.

He bundled her into his arms and leaped down from the crates, landing roughly, his bad leg buckling.

She moaned as they hit the ground.

"Did we win?"

"I'm here, aren't I?"

He must be running. Her body jounced painfully against his chest with every lurching step. He couldn't carry her and use his cane.

"I don't want to die."

"I'll do my best to make other arrangements for you."

She closed her eyes.

"Keep talking, Phoenix. I can't let you slip away from me."

"But it's what we do best."

He clutched her tiger. "Just make it to the schooner. Open your damn eyes, Y/N."

She tried. Her vision was blurring, but she could make out a pale, shiny scar on Kaz's neck, right beneath his jaw. "You have a scar."

"Where?"

"Right," she pulled her hand up with much struggle and ghosted her finger over the mark. "Here."

"We all have scars." His voice was rough and slightly strained with effort.

"How did you get it?"

He didn't answer right away and when he did, he avoided giving her the answer she wanted. "Scars tell the stories of our lives. Where we've been and who has crossed our paths."

A ghost of a smile graced Y/N's lips. "You sound like a certain Suli I've grown fond of."

"Company corrupts company."

Her mind started getting fuzzy, nothing staying clear long enough for her to focus. She knew she was supposed to tell him something but she couldn't remember. It didn't matter anymore.

"Talk to me, L/N."

"You came back for me."

"I protect my-" he cut himself off. "You. I'll protect you."

She hummed and moved her head closer to his neck so her hair brushed against his jaw. Her lips parted as she remember what she needed to tell him. He owed her an apology. "Say you're sorry."

"For what?"

"Just say it."

She didn't hear his reply as the world around her grew darker and faded into her mind.

~

Kaz limped aboard the schooner with Y/N in his arms and shouted, "Get us out of here!" The sails were already trimmed, and they were on their way out of the harbor in moments, though not nearly as fast as he would have liked. He knew he should have tried to secure some Squallers for the journey, but he was too occupied to write to Nikolai.

There was chaos on the deck, people shouting and trying to get the schooner as quickly as possible.

"Specht!" he yelled at the man he had chosen to captain the vessel. "Get your crew in shape before I start cracking skulls.