Hesitant Future

3rd Pov

"What?! Rei's not practicing?!" Coach Sasabe yelled.

"That's unusual." Airi said.

"Oh! Maybe the strawberry milk ice cream I gave him yesterday was spoiled." Nagisa rubbed his head sheepishly.

"Then why would you give it to him?!" Kou retorted.

"Uh, I don't think ice cream can spoil." Coach Sasabe pointed out.

"But if he had something spoiled..." Makoto stated.

"Mackerel?"

"I didn't give him anything" Haru defended himself.

"Anyway, there isn't much time left before regonals! You need to practice hard. Airi, you're filling in for Rei so that Haru can practice his exchange "

"What?!"

-With Rin-

"Matsuoka...someone named Ryuugazaki is here." Someone told Rin.

Rin put on his jacket and headed outside. Rin looked to his side and saw Rei come out from the wall.

"Rin-chan, yes?" Rei asked.

Rin's eyes widened slightly. "It's you."

"I need to talk to you."

"So, what do you want?" Rin questioned.

"I have two questions for you."

"Huh? What are they?"

"Then here is my first question. Why did you suddenly decide to swim in the relay?" Rei inquired.

"I changed my mind. You came out here to ask me that?" Rin answered.

"That answer doesn't convince me. You've been fixated on racing Haruka-Senpai all this time. Your reason was that you couldn't move forward until you defeated him. And in the last tournament, you beat him. Doesn't that mean you achieve your goal?" Rei said.

Rin glared at Rei and gritted his teeth. "My goal isn't to beat Haru. And it's not to win tournaments in this country. I aim higher. My goal is the world."

"The world? Very well. Moving onto my second question. How do you feel about Haruka-senpai and Airi-senpai?" Rei asked.

"Huh?"

"In grade school, you and haruka-senpai were close rivals. I saw old pictures of you guys when we were at Coach Sasabe's house. You used to smile all the time. With Airi-Senpai, Haruka-senpai, Makoto-Senpai, and Nagisa-kun. The five of you were always together for fun. Airi-senpai told me a bit as to why she studied abroad, she was hurt and needed a change of scenery. By the way the others talked about encountering you in places, Airi-senpai would refuse to go. Which makes me assume something happened between the two of you. I've seen how you two interacted at the festival the other day. Are you playing with her emotions or not? You barely make any effort to become closer to her. I don't want to see Airi-senpai or Haruka-senpai hurt anymore. What made you change after going abroad? Why didn't you contact Airi-senpai or any of the others after you returned to Japan? What happened while you were aborad? You used to be good friends, so why? You swam in a relay together, so why? You must've been thrilled about swimming in a relay with them! Aren't you the one who understands more than anyone how great the relay was!"

Rin clenched his fist while Rei was talking and finally lashed out. "Shut up! I let you talk, and you think you can spout all the stupid logic you want?! Why do I have to explain myself to you?!"

Rei adjusted his glasses. "Because I'm a victim. I was originally on the track team, but I ended up joining the swim club. After watching Haruka-senpai swim, I wanted to swim like him. Airi-senpai has done so much for me and I want to continue to learn and impress her. Practice was hard at first, but it started to grow on me. Eventually, I was having fun swimming with everyone. At prefectuals, I finally swam in a relay with them. That was the first time I really understood relays as more than just a theory. I realized how fun they could be. Airi-senpai supported and cheered for us utill the end. She was so happy and proud us. It was a beautiful sight. We all care about her and want the best for her. We felt like a real team. But they all keep talking about you! Rin-chan! Rin-chan! Rin-chan!"