Chapter 3: Only the beginning

Alexia Riddle

As we finished with our food, the prefects stood up and asked all the first years to follow them. but, since we were new as well we decided to go after them as too, to get the gist of the new place. We looked in awe as the prefects explained about everything, the portraits, the moving staircases and once we turned in a hallway, a silvery translucent creature came gliding in and sprayed everyone with muddy water. Several groans and ughs escaped the students' mouths. The prefect yelled at him, "PEEVES! GET BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!!!" This only caused Peeves's laughter to double and he started howling and glided away in deep amusement. The prefect yelled at him from behind "I'll be sure to tell Snape about your miscellaneous activities." The prefect then muttered a spell which cleaned everyone's clothes.

"He really enjoyed himself." Mattheo whispered in my ear. 

"Oh, I think you both will get along great." I replied in response. "Considering, you both are from the same category."

"What? Magical?"

"Clowns" Tom responded for me. I stifled a chuckle while Mattheo went quite but not before scowling at us. 

We turned in several hallways before reaching the dungeons. "These are the Slytherin dormitories. From here is the Slytherin common room which will lead to your sleeping quarters." The prefect instructed. "Mudblood." He spoke to the grumpy looking portrait in the doorway which looked at least 2 centuries old. "This will be your password for the next month. They will be changed every month. Only forget them if you want to spend the night out here." He spoke in a commanding voice. All the first years could manage to do was nod their heads along at his speed of speaking. 

"Well, here it is." He declared in a ta-da voice as they entered through the portrait hole.  

It was magnificent indeed. It was green everywhere. Even the fire in the fireplace was green. It was in the lake. Surrounded by it which gave it a green tint. The sofas were covered with leather, skulls placed in every corner, green lamps and chairs everywhere, dark black mahogany cupboards in the corner. Students were spread around, couples making out on the sofas and near the stairs.

"Wow!"

"Wicked!"

"Damn!" 

Were all three of our remarks. "I guess we approve?" Mattheo questioned us. 

"We do." Tom answered and I nodded. 

We were directed to our rooms and I bid farewell to my brothers and went towards the girls' dormitories while they proceeded up the stairs to the boys'. 

10 minutes later I burst open the door to my brothers' room. "Anything the matter, dear sister?" Mattheo looked at me with amusement clear on his face. "Be nice." Tom told him off. Mattheo only smirked at this.

"I HAVE TO SHARE A ROOM!" I shouted at my brothers. Neither of them flinched because they were used to my occasional outbursts. Tom and Mattheo said nothing which only annoyed me more. 

"I have to share a room with a person. Three girls. They seemed so cheerful when I entered the room." Disgust laced my words.  "I couldn't stand it. I had to leave." I spoke with exaggerated hand movements. I turned around and found a view that only made me want to gauge Tom and Mattheo's eyes out with my dagger. Tom was unpacking and putting his clothes away in the drawers while Mattheo was mocking me, lip syncing along and doing the exaggerated hand movements. I was probably red as a tomato now. Mattheo smirked in satisfaction at this and plopped down onto the bed. 

"Honestly, don't you two get it? What if something happens? What if they annoy me to the extent I end up using the spells they taught us at Durmstrang? We'll be thrown out of here too."  

"Merlin, Lexi you're being overdramatic. Nothing is going to happen. You're almost 14. You will be alright. Plus if something does happen we will obliviate them like always. But trust me you can do it." Tom spoke in a reassuring tone facing me now. But I was still not convinced and was pacing the room back and forth. 

"Lexi look at me." I didn't look at him. "Look at me." Tom was now in front of me and he held my shoulders with his hands. He looked at me with his big brother eyes. "Breath in. Breath out." He instructed me. I followed his commands and closed my eyes and took deep breadths. I could feel the pace of my heart slowing down. Tom always knew what to do. Be it with me or Matt. He and Matt are the only people who knew what to do. And I loved them for it but I also hated fate for being born a Riddle. I loved that I was so close to my brothers but I hated the reasons for it.

I opened my eyes and Tom looked at me with a questioning gaze. 

"I am fine now."

"Good. And don't worry about sharing your dorm. We believe in you. Right, Matt?"

Matt was busy sitting on the bed with his legs crossed and shooting sparkles out of the tip of his wand. 

"Hmm? What? Yes. Yeah. Sure. Definitely" He blurted out with a thumbs up clearly having no idea of what was going on. 

"Never mind." Tom replied with a sigh. 

"Well, I am exhausted and am off to my dormitory. Adios hermanos." Matt said getting up from bed and stretching his arms and legs while I sat on the edge of the bed. "Wait, you're not sharing a dorm with Tom?" Confusion evident in my words. Mattheo turned around with a smirk plastered on his face and I regretted asking him because I had an inkling of what he was going to say next. 

He kneeled down on his left leg in front of me with mock concern on his face. "Okay Lexi I am going to explain this as clearly as I can." 

"Tom. Is. An. Year. Older. Than. Us."  He said drawling out each word as if explaining to a 5 year old. 

I glared at him as hard as I could and pushed his shoulder. "Oh shove off!" He was not able to control himself anymore and burst into laughter sitting on the floor. 

"You little piece of-"

"Okay that's enough." Tom interrupted me. "Mattheo leave now. And you too Alexia. The other guys will be arriving soon." He said our first names, he was definitely irritated. 

Mattheo and I got up and as we moved out the door I told him, "Look what happened because of you."

"Me? This was all you!"

"Hey!" Tom's voice from behind us shut us up. We grumbled and parted our ways. I had a feeling this was only the beginning. 

******************************************************************