What Are We?

Book 2, Ch. 26

Josh's Pov:

I grabbed a sleeping bag and a cup with juice. I was preparing to go to sleep when I heard some clearing their throat. I turned around to see Maddie's father standing in front of me. "Hello Sir." Since Melissa and Kurt got divorced, he had moved to another state. Maddie and Kenz really never saw him. But he always made sure to somehow stay in touch. "Um- Argh. Eh..." I could tell he wanted to tell me something but couldn't get the words out. "Is there something you want to tell me, Sir?" "Yes, yes. It's about Madison." I nod. "I was wondering what are exactly your intentions?" I chuckle. "Sir, I love your daughter. I just wanted to make sure that she is going to be full recovered when she gets home." He didn't seem convinced with my answer. "Do you have a job?" "No Sir, I'm still in school." "Oh, right, right. So what are you planning on studying?" I think about it for a minute. "I have a scholarship for a hockey school." I say proudly. "Hockey, huh?" 'Yes, Sir." He stays quiet for a second. "I see... So, Josh..." He says awkwardly. "I don't tend to talk about this with my daughter so I'm asking you. What exactly are you two?" That was the one and only question I had no idea how to answer. Was I dating Maddie? Was I still his boyfriend? Even her friend! I have no idea how she felt about me. And as if that wasn't stressful enough, HER father had to ask me. "I'm afraid that's something you are going to have to ask her." That's the only answer I came up with? Ask her? Gosh I could be so dumb sometimes. "Yes, yes..." He said , lost on his thoughts. "Goodnight, Sir." I said politely, hoping that would be the end of the conversation. "Goodnight Josh. And you can call me Kurt." I nod and go back to stretching my sleeping bag. If that was a somehow of test to see if I was suitable for her daughter, I just hope I pass...