3

4 Years Later

All of us, close to 1,200, were dressed in our Service dress whites. Some of us stood with smiles on our faces, many families here to support their children or their siblings, husbands and wives. I looked around before-hand for my dad but I hadn't seen him. I hadn't asked him to be here, in case he was away on a mission and couldn't. So I didn't ask. As much as I wanted him to be here. The base marching band, a phalanx to the left of the rises, is in fine and rousing form. Families applaud as we are given our shoulder insignias. When I got mine, there was no chance of me not smiling. I heard a family shouting and cheering for their son (I think they said his name was Jake), their Texan accents thick and noticeable. But I loved every second of it. The embarrassingly loud families. I have no doubt that if Bradley's parents were alive, our dads would be making us look like fools. When everyone has their shoulder insignias, everyone stands together, reciting the commissioning oath. "I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion. That I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

"Let us pray. Most triumphant and loving God, as if four years ago these warriors responded to that divine question, whom shall I send and who shall go for us, but others ran away from this call to protect this country from all enemies foreign and domestic. They boldly came from the four corners of the globe to find a vocation at the Naval Academy. You challenged these warriors to think more critically and to act more decisively and to always serve with more clarity, especially in the fall of war. While here, they were pushed beyond their limitations, their assumptions were challenged, and they were reminded of the war fighting reality that everything will rise and fall on leadership. So as we engage upon today's ceremony, help these warriors to always cherish their friendships - they will be the difference maker in the future. Help these warriors to forever pour into their families, for truest without they could not be who they are or where they are. But most of all, help these emerging leaders of tomorrow to always keep you first in all they say and do. For truly all things are possible to those who dare to believe. And God, we believe that the best is yet to come. Now receive all of your glory, your power, and your honor forever. Amen." We all sat down as the Vice Admiral was brought up onto the stage.

"Welcome, family, friends, and most importantly the class of 2007. Let me be the first to congratulate you. Today is your day." Everyone applauds, some people cheer. "I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be here looking out at you all and your loved ones." We sat there for over an hour, listening to people speak. After listening, we stood when we were called.

"Those midshipmen to be commissioned ensigns, please stand. Raise your right hands. Having been appointed an ensign in the United States Navy, do you solemnly swear that you will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic? That you will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, that you take this obligation freely, without reservation or purpose of evasion and that you will well and faithfully execute the duties of the office upon which you are about to enter, so help you God?"

"I do!" The crowd of us yells back. We sat back down and then, when our names were called, we walked across the stage, shaking the hands of generals, and admirals.

"Congratulations to the class of 2007." We all cheered and I searched the crowd for Bradley. I saw him talking to a woman with dark hair. It was put up in a bun, because all women had to have their hair in a bun.

"Bradley!" He turned when he saw me, his smile bright.

"Nicole!" We hugged, laughing. "We did it, kid." I turned to his friend, shaking her hand.

"I'm Nicole Mitchell."

"Natasha Trace. Nice to meet you. Your boyfriend here just invited me out with you guys for your celebratory tradition." My eyes went wide and Bradley and I both shook our heads.

"No, we're not... we never dated. Never will. He's my big brother." He gave me a shove and I laughed.

"That's good to know." She nodded, looking back at Bradley. I smiled wide as I saw Bradley blush a little, looking back at her with a smile.

"Is it?" I scrunch my nose, not wanting to see them flirt.

"I'm going to try and find my dad, if he showed up." I see Bradley's smile falter for a second but he looks back at Natasha and everything is ok again. "But please. Please join us tonight. He likes to show off, playing piano. It'll definitely be more fun if you're there." I tell her, smiling. "It was so nice to meet you." I hugged Bradley one more time before running off. Which meant, I inevitably ran into someone. Enough to knock me on my butt. His hand reached down and he helped me up. "Thanks, sorry for that. Completely my fault."

"I shouldn't have been standing in the middle of the aisle anyway. I was looking for my folks." He apologizes in a deliciously Texan twang. I smiled at him. The rest of him was just as delicious. He was tall with dirty blonde hair and emerald eyes, a cut jaw with a toothpick pressed between his thin lips. His broad shoulders looked good in the matching white uniform. He catches me staring and chuckles.

"God, sorry. That was rude of me. If it helps, your family is over there. The loud Texans?" He smiled and scratched the back of his head, embarrassed.

"That's them. Kind of embarrassing but I love them." I smiled, nodding.

"Nik!" I turned, seeing my dad. He was in his uniform, smiling at me. I couldn't believe he made it. I turned back to the Texan, smiling.

"Over there in the corner. Sorry for bumping into you." I took off running before I jumped into my father's arms like a little girl. "Dad, I can't believe you're here." He hugged me tightly, before putting me down on the ground.

"Look at you, kid. You're so grown up." He looked at me in our matching uniforms. "I don't think you've ever looked more like me. Your mom would've been so mad at that." We both laughed. I never had a chance to meet my mom, but I loved hearing about her from my dad. It had been long enough that it didn't hurt as much for him to talk about her. "I'm so proud of you, Nicole." He smiled down at me before someone caught his eye. I looked behind me, seeing Heathcliff, who was also in his dress whites. His cane propped characteristically behind him, the newer notches clearly recognizable from the ones that predate this class, he watches them approach one after the other, each of his worms, his scuzzes, his college pukes and he renders to them, as is the tradition, their first salute. He walks up to me, shaking my dad's hands.

"Maverick."

"Chaplin." Heathcliff looks back at me with a smile and a nod.

"Congratulations, Ensign Mitchell. Your hard work paid off."

"I told you it would, sir." He salutes me briskly, his heels clapping together like a dancer. I salute him, as well.

"I'll never forget everything you taught me, as long as I live, Sergeant." He nods with a small smile.

"I know." Then he walks off to congratulate more of his students. I pull a folded document from my breast pocket, handing it to my dad.

"I got my orders for basic flight training, then maybe after a few years, I'll be invited to stop Gun." Dad looks at the papers like he might cry. He pulls me in for a hug.

"I knew you'd make it! I've never been more proud." He hands me back my papers. "Tell Bradley... tell him I'm proud of him. Tell him his dad would be proud of him." I gave my dad a small smile, putting my hand on his shoulder.

"He might be over it." He's not over it. "You could tell him yourself." He shouldn't. It wouldn't go well. Dad shakes his head.

"Another time. Today's about you and how amazing you are." I shrugged.

"I'm the best because I learned from you."

There was only one thing I regretted from that day.

Not giving that cowboy my phone number.