18

I cursed myself as I drove away from Ja - Hangman's place. I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought of him over the years. I would be lying if I said that every time we had sex, I didn't feel a part of me getting attached to him. But Jake Seresin isn't a relationship guy. That's what I have constantly told myself. He had shown that to me the last time we saw each other, all those years ago.

A Few Years Ago...

Naval balls were always long nights full of fun, dancing, and more than enough naval politics. Naval officers of every rank were there if they could be. As for me, I happened to be stationed in Virginia, which is where the ball was being held that year. I had managed to successfully avoid these balls for most of my career, but this one was inevitable. Everyone on our ship was required to go. I was at the bar, ordering a drink, when someone sat in the chair beside me. I didn't pay much attention until that person cleared their throat, making me turn around. It was a man; now he was decently attractive (a fact that he clearly knew) with a clean shaven face, with brown hair, and blue eyes. I had gone for a timeless look, a simple black satin slip dress. "What's a guy gotta do to get a minute of your time?" I sent him a small smile, but I wasn't interested.

"Be an F/A-18." I told him simply, with a shrug. It wasn't far off from the truth, but the real answer would have been too complicated. Then again, maybe talking about it would have scared him off sooner.

"A pilot?" I nodded, still waiting for that drink. "I'm a sailor. It's a match made in heaven." I furrowed my eyebrows and gave him a sharp look.

"I don't think so. I have a boyfriend." The lie slipped off of my tongue before I had a second to stop myself. But it had been a lie I told so many times before to get a guy away from me.

"I don't see him." I sent him a sweet smile, but inside I wanted to punch him. What a dick thing to say. I looked around the room. If Bradley were here, he would have been the answer to my prayers. But when I caught sight of the blonde aviator, chatting it up with other officers, it seemed like a decent option. I would just have to get him to play along for the night.

"That's because you're not looking." I turned back to the bartender and added a beer to my tab and he handed me both of my drinks. "Thank you." I turned back to the sailor. "You see that tall man with blonde hair and the body of a god." The sailor looked over at him and his face paled. They must have known each other. "Yeah, that's my man." I moved from the bar, walking towards the arrogant pilot with a mission and a bribe. The officers he was with nodded at me and said their last words to 'my man' before walking away. In front of me stood Jake Seresin, his green eyes meeting mine. "Hi." I breathed out, happy to see him for once.

"Banshee, wow." I smiled at him, giving him the beer. "You look beautiful." I felt myself blush at his compliment.

"You need to call me Nicole and I'm going to need you to be my boyfriend." The statement took him by surprise as I took a sip of my drink. "Just for tonight. I told the guy at the bar that I was your girlfriend and he seemed legitimately scared that you might kick his ass." Jake's eyes scanned the bar until he saw who I was talking about.

"Yeah, that's Lieutenant Diego. I've kicked his ass for disrespecting a lady before." He looked down at me. "Alright, well if we're going to do this, we're doing this right." He took my drink, placing it on the table before he dipped me. That's when I knew I could no longer hate him. When I saw the green of his eyes sparkle as he lightly kissed my lips. He wasn't aggressive, he wasn't trying to get into my pants. It was soft and sweet and I found myself wanting moments like this with him more. He brought me back up and I felt dizzy. "How was that?" I sent him a small chuckle, moving close to him to wipe the red lipstick from his lips.

"Now I know why you go home with all the ladies." He sent me a cocky smile and I grabbed my drink, needing a sip of alcohol before I lost my mind. The rest of the night, we spent by each other's sides. Jake was always looking to impress anyone and everyone above him, so that one day, he might get a nice promotion with a brand new title. He had no trouble selling himself but I helped him know when to shut up. The only time I didn't shut him up is when he talked about me. I let him tell everyone about how I was the best pilot he had ever seen and how I was top of my class. I let him go on and on, making sure that I received compliments from not only admirals but their wives as well. I had been disappointed that Uncle Tom hadn't been here, but I knew why. He had just been diagnosed with throat cancer. And he hated looking weak in front of others. But Jake made all of those fears and disappointments go away when he wrapped his arm around my waist any time someone our age would stare at me. And soon, he stopped removing his arm and it was permanently glued to my waist for the rest of the night. I was able to wear a calm smile the entire night, and it was all due to him. But due to all of the talking, my smile was starting to wear thin, and I knew that soon my kindness would start to wear off, another way I was just like my father. I don't think he would've been caught dead at one of these balls. But when the band started to play a slow song that I recognized, I perked up. I hadn't meant to jump up so much, but the band had been playing jazz the entire night and it had felt like one long, very long song. So this was refreshing.

"Dance with me?" I looked back at Jake with a smile. I hadn't expected that from him and I was even more surprised when he pulled me to the dance floor and he could dance well. Jake pulls me in by the waist, until we're nearly chest to chest. The warmth of his hands set my skin on fire through the thin dress I was wearing.

"I'm surprised with you, Jake." He held me close, his right hand in mine and his other hand on my hip.

"Everyone knows how to dance in Texas." My head rested on his chest as we continued to dance. I didn't care if people were staring. My other hand rested on his shoulder, every once in a while, his eyes met mine and I sent him a small smile that told him how happy I was in this moment. Maybe he didn't get that from my smile, but it's what I was trying to show. I wanted him to kiss me. The two of us slowly danced just a little while longer, Jake's hand rubbing gently up and down my sides, sending my stomach into a frenzy of butterflies. When he looks back down at me, I have a hazy, content look on my face. He gives me a small smile and leans down to my ear.

"Let's get out of here." He said goodbye to a few of his superiors before he grabbed my hand and led me out of there. I was glad when we stepped out and the world seemed quiet again. He didn't let go of my hand until we had gotten out of the building. Both of us stood outside, letting the night air cool us down. "Where are you staying?" He asked as I sat down on the bench outside of the building, taking my heels off. They were killing me.

"A few blocks away. You?" He sent me a smile.

"A few blocks away, probably in the same hotel." The Navy liked to do that, putting most of their sailors and aviators in the same hotel. The moon shined down on us.

"Thank you, for tonight." He sent me another smile.

"It was fun, darlin." I almost wanted him to say something else, something about how we acted in there seemed like we had been doing that our whole lives, like we fit perfectly. But he didn't and I didn't either. I stared up at him for a few seconds. Jake Seresin wasn't a bad guy. He wasn't anything other than arrogant. And the smile that had been on his face the entire evening made my heart flutter. We walked to the hotel and when we got to my room, he dropped me off. "I really did have a nice night." He leaned against the door frame with one arm, and I leaned against it with my side.

"So did I." He moved a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Good night, Nicole." He looked like he wanted me to say something more.

"Good night, Jake." I didn't even kiss him as he walked off towards his room. But when the elevator doors closed and I realized he was gone, I furrowed my eyebrows. Why did I do that? I threw my shoes into the room and shut my door behind me, racing for the stairs. When I made it to his floor, I was expecting to run into only him, but I saw him with a blonde haired woman, chatting her up near his door. He hadn't seen me yet, and I wasn't going to let him. That's all I needed to see before I went back up the stairs, heading to bed.

That's when I knew I could never fall for Jake Seresin. He wasn't a relationship guy and he made it clear that night. He made it clear that this night meant nothing to him, even though it meant so much to me.