28

I stared out at the sea, the boat crashing with the waves. I stood on the edge of the carrier's deck, looking at the ocean and the waves. All I wanted to know was what was going to happen next. The f/a-18s were behind me and part of me wanted to get in one and fly away. I was scared to lose someone. I felt someone walk up next to me and I didn't need to look to know it was Bradley. "You think you'll be picked?" Bradley asked. I stared at the sea.

"I don't know. Nepotism says no, but skills say yes." I explain with a small laugh.

"Yeah, I have a feeling Hangman's going to be chosen as wingman." I felt my heart drop at that. It wouldn't be much better if it was Bradley, but there was no right answer. "We're all going to be ok, you know that." I nodded, but I didn't believe myself.

"There's just so much to lose if this mission doesn't go right. And I can't afford to lose any of you. I love you all too much." I ran a hand through my hair and in classic Bradley style, he scrunched his face and made a joke.

"Gross. You love Hangman." I chuckled, shoving him.

"Shut up."

"Does he know?" I looked up at Bradley.

"Who? My dad or Jake?" Bradley smiled down at me.

"Both." I nodded.

"They both know how I feel." Bradley gave his response thought before he said anything at all. It's not a secret that he and Jake butted heads.

"Does he feel the same?" I smiled and nodded again.

"Yeah, yeah he does. He said he wants to marry me." Bradley honestly looked shocked, which made me smile. "He's not a bad guy, Bradley. You'll see what I see one day." He looked down at me and nodded, pulling me into a soft hug. He kissed the top of my head before gently pulling away. Before he had a chance to walk away, I grabbed his arm. "No matter what happens, whoever gets picked, be safe and come home. I need my big brother and my dad needs you too." There were tears in my eyes as I thought of the unthinkable and Bradley nodded, not arguing with me or telling me that they wouldn't die.

"I need you too, sis." Then he walked away and I stared back at the ocean before it started to rain a little. I was going to walk back when I saw my dad talking to Warlock. I didn't plan on eavesdropping but I walked towards them to let them know that I was there. Warlock nodded at me, finishing what he was saying to my dad before he walked away. My dad sent me a small smile and I think he knew I needed a hug, because he opened his arms and held me.

"Gotta be honest, dad. I'm scared. I don't want to be on the sidelines if you all die." I didn't look at him. "But you're a smart man and a good captain, if that's what you want, I'll respect your decision. As long as it comes from my captain and not my dad." I pulled away from him and looked him in the eye. "Promise?" He nodded.

"I promise." He looked at where Bradley had walked past him earlier. "I don't want to lose either of you. Which is why I have to pick the best team." I nodded, agreeing with him.

"How are you?" I asked him. He sent me a smile and a weak chuckle. Stressed.

"I've been better. Stressed about this decision. I've been thinking about what Uncle Tom would've done." I nodded, looking up at the sky.

"I like to talk to them. Sometimes they give good advice. Aunt Carole and Kelly gave me advice about Jake. Uncle Nick was there with me every single time I was in a plane. And now Uncle Tom will be there too. They give good advice if you just listen." I could tell my dad was smiling at me as I looked up at the sky.

"You're a smart kid. Definitely got those brains from your mom." I laughed, nodding. "She would've been proud of you if she could see you now." I smiled. I hoped she was proud. I hoped they all were. "I love you, Nik." I rested my head on his shoulder.