Soothing the Soul (Rachel Roth, aka Raven)

He sat on his bed, the coldness of his room almost suffocating him. His hands covered his face, muffling the distraught sound that wanted to escape from his lips. He normally would not act like this, composure and seriousness always were with him. But his latest fight against Scarecrow went out of hand very quickly. He didn't want to even remember what happened, his body completely trembling because of the experience that he just went through. But even with fear invading his body for the thousandth time, he knew that he had to control it.

"I see that the news traveled fast..." He said to no one in particular. He just needed to wait a few seconds, seconds that showed him who was there in the room with him. He already felt the moment that the person that invaded his room used the power of teleportation to get behind him. But he was well aware of exactly who was the person that was there with him. He knew that as soon as the person behind him found out what happened to him, that it would not be long before the two of them would meet again.

"Yes..." A female voice made itself known to him. He just relaxed his hands, his eyes looking tiredly to his back. His eyes immediately saw that she was wearing her iconic dark purple robe and outfit. He didn't dare to keep looking, already having an idea of what she came here to do. "As soon as we all knew what happened to you, we were worried that you could have a relapse of what happened years ago..." He just hummed, not commenting anything about his traumatic experience years ago. He had to stay strong for his family, for his loved ones. He was a man of very few words, but he cared deeply for those he loved. And only the female behind him had been able to understand him; all because of her powers. "We're worried for you... I'm worried..."

"I know..." He just whispered, closing his eyes. He immediately felt her hands touch his temple, a gentle caress that only made him relax even further. She knew just how to get him to calm down, to make him forget about anything that may torment him. And it was because of this that the two of them would always spend some time together, time that is very limiting. He would have hoped if she would stay, but both of them had their respective responsibilities. He was responsible for Gotham and she was responsible for the Temple of Azarath.

"Your turmoil has increased, Bruce..." Her voice was soothing, his eyes opening slowly. He was calmer now than before, yet he could still feel the effects of Scarecrow's toxins. His soul felt calm, a warmth that he was very familiar with. He has had many sessions with the female behind him to remember the feeling that he would have every single time that she entered his mind. He was still hesitant to even allow others inside of his mind, which was why he still had Martian Manhunter's mental shield. But he had allowed her to check on him from time to time, allowing her access to his mind. "You thought about it once more, haven't you?"

"Yes..." He all but confirmed, the words easily escaping from his lips. He knew that he should not think this way ever again, to keep in mind that there were people that cared for him. Yet there were times that his occult fears would take over; fears of his traumas. Fears that didn't want to die, that didn't want to rest. It was because of it that there were nights where he went full weeks without any sort of rest. "I have thought about it, Rachel"

"Let me soothe you..." It was then that he finally felt her power work through his mind again. It only brought him comfort, brought him the peace that he wanted to live in. He was more than happy to stay like this for the rest of the day. A day that only got better and better, his mind forgetting the encounter that he had with Scarecrow mere hours ago. He was already holding his composure, already ready for action. And all because of the female that kept on calming him down. In no time, she dropped her hands from his temple, letting him know that she was done with soothing him. "I hope this helped..."

"It did..." He commented softly, his word carrying a force that they lacked before. But as quick as his powerful and commanding voice came back, it left. Only a tense silence surrounded the room, his mind already knowing the outcome of the day. It happened every other time that they had time to spend together, time that seems to be getting shorter by the day. He had accepted this, knowing full well of her responsibilities. But there was not a single day that he would wonder what it would be like if she could stay with him. "It's been some time since your last visit..."

"So it seems..." She whispered in his ear. He just closed his eyes, feeling her touch calm him even further. He even felt the soft and tender kiss that she gave him to his head, a kiss that had been a tradition between the two after each session she gave him. "I never anticipated that I would be away for so long..." He could feel the controlled feelings that were escaping from her lips. Just like him, she also hides her emotions under a stoic visage. But just as she helped him through his situation, he was also helping her through her own problems as well. "I'm sorry"

"You don't have to be... I understand" It was then that he noticed that she had floated around him, his eyes finally staring at her for the first time today. He admired the soft and gentle smile that she currently had, her blue eyes looking at him with all the care she could muster. Their connection went deeper than normal, a connection that was as strong as Darkseid's power. It was unbreakable, a bond that only grew stronger. Even if the two of them did not spend as much time together.

"But... Tell me... Have things changed too much?" He could only smile at her. He moved his hands towards her head, removing the part of the clothes that covered her hair. Light purple hair with pink-ish tips swayed immediately at the release. He even felt just how she moved her hand towards his cheek, moving her thumb gently. He breathed in, his lungs expanding slightly before he released the air from his nostrils.

"No..." He all but confirmed. His lips touching her own in a gentle and romantic kiss. The two of them didn't have to act all passionate with each other just to let the other know just how much they felt for each other. Small confirmations of love were all the two of them needed. A rare smile appeared on his face, separating himself from the female in front of him to be able to look at her beautiful face. "Some things never change..."