Chapter 22: His Apology

Illika

My eyes burn.

So fucking much. And they're so heavy. It feels as if my eyelids are made of stone, each threatening to flutter shut, but I get jolting back awake. I have to. I'm sitting in on a meeting the League is holding with Re-Destro.

Ever since the twins' death, and because of his cooperation, Re-Destro has been allowed, as I've heard it described, out of his cage. That said, the man does look as if he had been beat pretty good. And though I can tell his injuries, much like my own, are healing and fading, I can still see through it all. The way he sits. The way he tries to hold himself together. All the while, he hurts.

Honestly, I don't know what they're discussing. I'm not really paying attention. I'm not even sure why I'm here. I just know that Toga dragged me along when she saw me about to head out onto one of the balconies.

I glimpse over at her. Both she and Twice look as bored as I feel, which once again raises the question: what am I doing here?

It's not as if I've ever been particularly vocal in these meetings before. I might have interjected a bit here or there, but today, I just don't feel like it.

After the sleepless nights, I've been having, sitting in on a meeting is the last thing I really feel like doing. If anything, I almost prefer being in my room, trying to sleep before it gets late.

These days... These days, it's been hard, to say the least. Every time I lay my head on that pillow and close my eyes, it's as if I can feel Asahi right there, pressing all his weight on me, smothering me as his foul breath caresses my skin. I shudder.

That's why I've taken to sleeping – somewhat – during the day. At least with the sun shining, it becomes easier. Almost like Asahi's ghost can't touch me. But even so, sleep has not been an easy thing to come by these days.

Compress, Dabi, Spinner, and Re-Destro all exchange words. Something about how Re-Destro will still be under surveillance for the foreseeable future.

I guess they still don't fully trust him. Personally, I don't think he had anything to do with the twins' plans, but I also understand their hesitation. After all, he was the one who wanted to bust them out of prison, so it does leave him in a sticky situation. Still, I don't blame him.

"Well, it seems that's everything," Compress says. "Thank you, Re-Destro for your cooperation, and thank you everyone else for sitting in on this." He gathers some papers and stands. "I'll take these notes to Shigaraki. Everyone else, I will see you later."

Almost immediately, everyone climbs to their feet, myself included, and starts to pile out of the little meeting room. I'm about to do the same when I hear a small voice behind me.

"Illika."

I turn, seeing Re-Destro standing as tall and strong as he can, keeping his hands collapsed together and his shoulders back. Though, I still catch it. The tremble of his shoulders as he fights to stay mighty. They must have done a number to him. Poor guy.

"Re-Destro." I turn, facing him. "Did you need something?"

"Yes," he says with a nod. He takes a little step closer, gritting through his discomfort. "I need to apologize."

I wrinkle my brows, confused. Then I realize what he's talking about. "Oh, no, no. No need for that. Really. It's fine. It's not –"

"Please," he interrupts. There is something to the way he looks at me. Like a man weighted with regret and sorrow. And when he sees I'm not going to stop him, he continues. "I am so, so sorry for what the Nakamura brothers did to you. Truly, from the bottom of my heart, I apologize." He inhales deeply. "I knew they were strong loyalists of mine, but I never once thought for a minute that they would do any of that. What they did was unacceptable, and it is completely my fault. So, please, forgive me."

He moves, bending at the waist as he lowers to a bow. And honestly, though I understand this is him displaying a great deal of respect, I find myself feeling strange. Almost as if I'm on some odd pedestal that I don't want to be on. It's awkward.

I fidget, then try to smile. "Thank you, but really... You don't have to do this. I don't blame you for any of this. It wasn't your fault. Even if you had known, they were still gonna do what they were gonna do." I help him as he straightens his stance. "Really, Re-Destro...I appreciate this, but there is nothing to forgive. I never blamed you, but thank you."

He says nothing and instead just smiles and nods, and then we both leave, walking out of the room. No more words are exchanged, and as soon as we reach the hall, we each go our separate ways.

And I hope this has offered him some comfort.

**Bello lovelies! As you can tell, today's chapter was a bit different. Today we got to see Re-Destro. He was pretty upset over what happened, but Illika doesn't blame him. That's nice of her. Hopefully, her forgiveness made him feel better. But I know what y'all really want. We want Shiggy. Don't worry. He'll be back soon. I got some shit planned. This story isn't over yet lol. Oof. I am tired. Work kicked my butt today. I think I'm gonna turn in early. As always, thank y'all so, so much for everything! Y'all are the bestest! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross