Chapter 20

was the morning of Christmas Eve and the Cullen house was a flurry of activity. Alice was bouncing around making sure that all of the fairy lights were just how she wanted them. Rose was teaching Belle how to play some Christmas songs on the piano; while Emmett watched. Esme had Carlisle and Jasper helping in the kitchen, baking goodies and meals for the homeless shelter. Later on in the afternoon everyone would go to the shelter to help hand out food and toys to the children. The Cullens always bought toys for the children of the shelters; they believed that no child should be present-less on Christmas. They always told the children to wait until the next morning to open the gifts, but they all knew that they could never wait.

Charlie, who had been working a night shift, came to the Cullen house when he got off. He smelled the baked goods and followed his nose to the kitchen; where he snagged a couple of sugar cookies. "Charlie, those are for the less fortunate." Esme reprimanded, although she had a smile on her face. "I know sweetie, but they smelled so good that I just had to have a couple." Esme chuckled and gave Charlie a hug and kiss before she tried to usher him to bed. "Wait I have an idea that I would like to run by you guys." Charlie said, everyone gathered in the kitchen to hear what this idea was. "I was wondering have you ever played Santa for the shelter children? I mean, I know they have a tree and I just thought it would be cool to have the children wake up in the morning and find presents under the tree. You could even have gifts of clothing for the adults."

Esme was sporting a huge smile; she knew that Charlie was really a big softy under his rough exterior. "That is actually a great idea Charlie!" Carlisle exclaimed, "With our vampire speed nobody would know that we were there to place the presents under the tree, and if anybody is awake Jasper could help them get to sleep; that is if you want to Jasper." Jasper nodded his head in agreement. Every one of the Cullens wondered why none of them had ever thought of that before. It would be like a true Christmas miracle.

"We need to run out and get some toys and clothing." Alice said, very happy to have any reason to go shopping! "Who wants to come with me?" Rosalie, Emmett, Carlisle and Jasper ended up going along with Alice. Esme ushered Charlie into her bedroom and insisted that he get some sleep, while she and Belle finished with the food. Rose continued to play at the piano, playing all kinds of different Christmas tones. Vladimir and Stephan arrived and asked that Rose play a song that was traditional in their homeland. Stephan, the keeper of stories, went into the kitchen and told Belle about Christmas in Romania. Belle was surprised to learn that in Romania Christmas was banned between the years 1948-1989, due to the Communist Rule. She couldn't believe that a government would ban holidays, but then again she was an American and being so she knew freedom that many other countries did not. Vladimir came in after requesting a native song from Rose, who gladly played "Steaua" (The Star), and told of food that Romanians would make for the Christmas Holiday. "Although we haven't tasted these dishes ourselves, the locals love the food. The most traditional food is Cozonac; it is made with flour, egg yolks, yeast and many other ingredients that families might have around. There are many different variations of the recipe but our local families like to make Cozonac filled with Turkish delights."

"That sounds delicious. Esme do you think that we could make some for the shelter; and for us human and almost human?" Belle asked her eyes alight with the new knowledge.

"I think that is a great idea. Stephan and Vladimir would you like to help with the making? I assume that you have seen it made and would know how to make it." Esme said.

"We would be glad to help. It does require kneading for hours, and since we don't get tired we could knead the dough for the right amount of time." Vladimir said, he really did enjoy making food; even though he could no longer enjoy it.

"I have a question for you guys, and Esme." Belle said, as a thought came to her. "I know that you can't digest human food, but what about drinks?"

"As it turns out we can have drinks, although most taste like nothing to us. Alcoholic drinks are a different story. We can consume and enjoy the flavor of alcoholic beverages; we even can get drunk if we drink too much!" Esme said, "Why do you ask Belle."