Home

The capital and the arena slowly drifted behind us. I was going home. I would be able to my parents once again. 

"Alright, Miss GreenShire." Sal said picking up the list. "Since you won the games District 10 will be provided with extra food and supplies for the entire year." Good. For once I would see kids with full stomachs. Proper toys. The sick be given medicine and even delicacies such as sugar. 

"You will of course move into a victor house with your parents if you so wish. You have earned a great amount of money as well." I would never have to work again. Is this what it takes to be able to feed my family for a lifetime? "Don't forget in the spring you have your victory tour." Ah yes, the victory tour. The reminder that the games never really go away. "But until then, live the life of a victor." 

The life of a victor, filled with nightmares, trauma, and painful grief. Yes, I would be living the life of a victor. 

"I'm tired." I announced, "I think I'll go to bed." 

"It was only midday-" Sal started to protest, but i pushed past her into my bedroom. I laid down underneath my blanket. I haven't had a good night's sleep since before the games. I laid in my bed lost in my head for hours. Until I eventually fell asleep. 

Every night I woke up from the same nightmares. They all normally included reliving Jase's death and seeing the tributes I killed over and over and over again, as they screamed and shouted at me for taking their lives. But it all ended the same. 

Their dead bodies around blood covered me. 

I would wake up every night screaming and panting. Tonight it was no different. 

When I woke up it was around midnight. The night had started to comfort me. It meant that I lived through the horrors of the day. I wrapped my arms around my knees and rocked back and forth with shaky breaths. 

"You're safe," I whispered to myself over and over again. "no one can hurt you now." I gripped my necklace until my knuckles turned white. When I finally laid down again, I went back to sleep. 

I woke up three more times that night. 

-------------

We finally arrived back at district 10. 

"It might be a bit overwhelming when we first arrive so try not to get caught up in the parade." Zach advised. 

"Parade?" It had honestly been so long since there was a winner I had forgotten what it was like not to receive the corpses of the vanquished. I knew Jase's body would be arriving in the District soon. 

When I stepped out of the train there were lines of people waiting for us. They looked so cheerful and joyous. Emotions I thought I might never feel again. I walked hand in hand with Zach. Big crowds had always made me nervous since I was young. Especially one where I was the center of attention. 

Zach guided me out of the path of citizens and into a secluded one. 

"Amaryllis?" a soft voice called out in the distance. I looked up hearing my name. It was my parents. I haven't run this fast since the games. 

"Mama, Papa!" I cried jumping into my fathers arms. I wrapped my arms around his neck never wanting to let go. 

"Thank you!" My mom cried giving Zach a big hug, he was surprised and awkwardly patted her back. "Thank you for saving our little girl! And doing everything you could for our son." 

At the mention of Jase I start crying harder. 

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect him." I cried. I heard my dad whisper that it would be okay, and that it wasn't my fault. We stayed in the embrace until I calmed down. Once I had pulled myself together again, I was led to our new home. It was a large house, one of many. Two belonged to Rain and Zach. 

When we arrived at our new house, our furniture from our house had already been moved here. It looked like home but it didn't feel like home. It saddened me that I wouldn't be living in  the house I grew up in with Jase. 

That night my parents threw a feast as a welcome home party. Rain and Zach were invited over as well. My parents seemed to get along well with them, which made me happy. After we ate dinner I quickly dismissed myself up to my new room. 

I laid in my bed deep in thought. Jase's funeral would be in a few days. 

There was a knock on the door interrupting my thoughts. 

"Come in." I said. My dad walked into the room closing the door behind him, before sitting on the bed beside me. 

"How are you doing Flower?" My dad asked. I shrugged. 

"Did you watch my games." He nodded. "Did you watch all of it?" He nodded again. Of course he had. He had seen me end so many lives. How he could still treat me like this was beyond me. He leaned over and touched my necklace. Jase's necklace. 

"I remember when I gave this to Jase." He said with a small smile. "You both had just turned five and we were struggling with money. I had been given the necklace when I was younger, it sat in a box in the closet for years. When I found it again I was going to sell it for money, but Jase begged for it when he saw me holding it." he laughed, "when I finally gave in, you became so jealous you would tackle him to the ground just to try and hold it." 

Somehow a smile formed on my face. 

"He loved this necklace with a passion." I said. 

"I'm glad he gave it to you." my dad said grabbing my hand. "I know you tried your very best to protect him." I nodded trying to convince myself the same thing. "And I don't care what you had to do in the games. You survived and that's what matters." 

---------------------

The next few days were a blur. Jase's funeral was held. I had the worst nightmares that night. We buried him in a field near our old house. It was his favorite spot on our property. It was behind our small barn, so his body won't be disturbed. I could also visit as much as I wanted as we decided to keep our old house. 

I was given an official victory parade through the District. I hated it, but tried to keep the appearance up just as Zach had advised me. Victors could never show their trauma. 

As the weeks went by I learned to cope with what had happened. I spent most of my days out in the fields with the animals. I woke up nearly every night with nightmares and would still get flashes from the arena, but Zach had been helpful with coping mechanisms. 

I would be able to live a small amount of my life in peace, until I returned in the spring for my victory tour. I would visit every district and finish with the Capital. I could only imagine what awaited me there.

Until then, I will try and regain since of happiness and joy in my life once again. 

End of part 1: the games