Water Will Be The Death of Me

I opened my eyes and sat up gasping for air. My axes laid at my side undisturbed. It seemed the nightmare was over. The swarm of insects had disappeared and I was alone once more. I swiped my face with my sleeve. It seemed the tears that I had shed in my dream had also appeared in real life. 

I pulled out the bottle of water and took a few sips, trying to recollect myself from what had happened. Once I had calmed myself back down I grabbed my axes and set off into the jungle. I no longer needed to go to the beach since the insects had disappeared, and it is more likely that other tributes would be hiding out in the forest. 

As I walked I began to think about the insects. Had the gamemakers sent those on purpose? And I still was wondering what the twelve dongs were the first night of the games. 

Boom!

I jumped at the sudden sound. It had almost been exactly an hour since the gamemakers sent insects to me. I watched as a hovercraft arived and carried a body away that looked to be in five different pieces. I did not want to know what beast they sent to him. But why did the gamemakers send another mutant attack right after my own? Was it because I survived? Or because of something else?

Suddenly a ridiculous thought came to my mind. I had been trying to decide what time it was when I thought: a clock has twelve in it. 

I quickly grabbed a tree branch and began to draw in the dirt. If I was right about this, it could keep me and Finnick's group away from any dangers that lie outside of the tributes. 

I drew a circle and divided it into twelve sections. The first section was the lightning storm, lasting from 1-2. 8-9 were the insects and 9-10 must be the beast. As long as I stayed out of the active section I would be safe. The next section would be 11-12. Until it was time to leave this sector I would be looking for any tributes.

Luckily it didn't take long to find them. It was a pair. The male and female tributes from District 8, Woof and Cecelia. Cecelia was the 58th games and Woof won the 17th games making him about 58 years old. Cecelia would most likely be the one to fight as she was younger, but Woof had brute strength on his side. 

I pulled out my hunting knife. I needed to get them distracted to attack them. Woof was leaning against a tree and Cecelia was pacing back and forth. They seemed to only be wielding one weapon, a type of sword I couldn't place. But I had seen it at the cornucopia. Cecelia was holding the sword in her hands. 

I had talked to Cecelia when I was a mentor during the games. She was always very nice and always took care of her tributes as if they were her own kids. She was just over thirty and is married with three kids back in District 8. I remembered seeing them cling to her during the reaping. 

I was starting to feel quite bad about the fact that I was here to kill them.  Cecelia had won her games when she was 17 by setting traps and outlasting her fellow tributes. Her arena had been a dessert with pyramids so the Careers had died of dehydration and starvation pretty quickly while the rest of the tributes knew how to deal with such harsh conditions. 

Woof stood up. It seemed they were planning on moving again. Now was my chance to take them by surprise. I lifted my arm and launched the hunting knife towards Woof. Since the knife wasn't made for throwing it started plummeting and landed in the squad of his left leg. 

He cried out and stumbled to the crowd. Cecelia gripped her sword and swiveled around looking for who had thrown it. I jumped out from behind the bushed and tried to bring my ax down onto her. 

She lifted her sword up clashing with my own weapon. The impact force made her stumble back away from me. 

"Run Cecelia! Forget about me!" Woof shouted to her as he hugged the wound on his leg. Cecelia listened and made a run for it. She was headed to the beach. I decided to follow her. I could come back for Woof if another tribute didn't find him first.