Epilogue

Epilogue

Damon Mortimer:

I slowly made my way to little Rory's room. I can't believe my little sunshine is turning five today. It feels like yesterday when she was born safe and sound in my sunshine's arms. Not a day goes by that I don't think of Emrys and everytime I look at Aurora I see her mother, there's no doubt about it that she's a carbon copy of her mother.

"Rory, wake up my darling." I whispered down to her, brushing her unruly blonde hair out of her face.

She groaned and swatted my hand away while making an adorable frown. I couldn't help but smile at her sweetness.

"Come on darling, nana's here and she made heart shaped pancakes just for you." I bargained knowing that the promise of her nana's food will get her up.Rory opened one eye and then rolled further into her quilt.

"Luke is here with auntie Roro and Uncle Ken as well as Leora and Lloyd," I said tugging lightly on her blanket.

"Will we see uncle Carter later?" She asked, fluttering her gorgeous eyes in my direction.

"Yes my sunshine. He said he had a surprise for you after your party so you need to get up and have your special breakfast so we can get going."

That's all it took for her to shoot out of her bed and run like a crazy to the kitchen where a chorus of happy birthdays resonated.

I made my way back into the kitchen seeing all the kiddos have my mum's special pancakes, chatter and laughter filling the room. My heart pinched a little that my wife was not by my side but I know she's around watching over us. We finished up breakfast and got the kids in Rose and Kendyn's car while I got all the stuff for the party in mine and mum and dad had all the food. As per Mortimer tradition, we had a small birthday party with all my siblings, nieces and nephews. Wolf had made the trip special from Ireland bringing along his little family so we could finally meet the newest addition to the family, little baby Beau. Mum, dad, the twins and Rose had flown out to see them when Beau was born while I held the fort here with Carter. It was the first Christmas we spent separately because mum refused to leave Beau and flying across the globe with five kids between Kendyn, Carter and I seemed like an impossible task for us three to handle and Alex was just quite happy to have the house to himself.

We all got cuddles with Beau while the bigger kids ran around playing in the park. Leora, Aurora and Alaia had become quick friends, it was so nice to see all the Mortimer girls get along so well together, it was just a shame that Alaia was so far away from the other two girls.

Not before long it was time to cut the cake and sing happy birthday to Aurora. It warmed my heart to see her surrounded by everyone she loved. Aj was sitting next to her and he helped her add whipped cream to her slice of cake. He was such a good brother and cared for Aurora. He still struggles in social settings and sometimes has outbursts of anger when things don't go his way but he's doing his best at school and still loves cars. For his birthday in a couple months I'm taking him to see the formula 1 races as I know he will love watching the cars and get him special access to the pit stops.

Soon enough the party was slowly coming to and end and all Rory could talk about was how her uncle Carter got her a special present and kept bugging him all afternoon. She was so impatient yet Carter never caved.

We finished cleaning up and then decided to meet Carter where the surprise would be but first we had to head home and get changed, more specifically to get Rory changed out of her pink princess dress into some leggings and wellies which was a struggle in itself but where her surprise was not princess dress appropriate.

After some struggle I finally got her changed and in the car, Aj wanted to continue playing with Luke so Ken and Rose took him home with them so the boys could play while little sunshine and I went to her surprise.