{52}

Chapter {52}

Song of the chapter: Lady by Brett Young.

Damon Mortimer:

"Damon, get a doctor or something, I think it's baby time." he rushed out.

I jumped to my feet and ran around desperately trying to keep my head steady and focus on finding the appropriate people to assist me. I dashed into the waiting room, out of breath from the excitement of the news and lack of sleep from waiting anxiously.

"Baby– now. Doctor? Find–" I panted out once I came face to face with my dad who had woken up from hearing my elephant feet trampling the hospital floor.

"Damon, breathe." he yawned, rubbing his eyes and shifting his position in his seat.

I stopped for a microsecond to take a lung full of air but my heart was still beating a million miles a minute.

"Dad, I need to find doctor Sal," I spoke more softly.

"Have you tried going to the front desk to get her paged?" he enquired, peeking at me with one eye open, his arms still crossed over his chest.

How he is not panicking like I am is beyond me.

"Well no," I admitted.

"Start there then my boy. When things start happening tell me so I can facetime your mother. Until then, breathe and calm down. Emrys does not need the extra pressure or stress coming from you." were his last words of advice before I rushed off to page Doctor Sal before I ran back into Emrys' room.

Paul was by her side, holding her hand and talking to her about god knows what. I felt shy walking in, a nurse had made her appearance and soon after doctor Sal and a midwife walked in checking all the monitors.

"Looks like your baby is ready to make its appearance. A little early bird." Sal joked, taking a seat by Emrys' legs.

I plonked myself in a corner, unsure as to what to do. I felt dad's presence behind me as he rested a hand on my shoulder, his other hand holding the phone where I just about caught a glimpse of mum.

"Son, whatever you do, DO NOT go anywhere near down south. Trust me, no." he gave my shoulder a squeeze before stepping a little closer to Rhys so mum could talk to her.

The room was rather silent, with her epidural Emrys' contractions were a lot less painful for her to manage for which I was grateful for. I felt Annie guide me a little closer but I did not want to intrude on Emrys' space. I could hear mum's excitement through the phone which got Emrys to let out a little giggle and my heart skipped a beat. I had missed that sound.

"Okay, when the next contraction comes I'm going to ask you to push sweet." Doctor Salvatore indicated to which Emrys just nodded.

"And push." Sal softly said.

Rhys gave it all her might.

"And again for me, ten, nine, eight.." the doctor counted down until she reached zero.

"Okay, nothing to worry about. This little one has decided to come feet first but that I absolutely have nothing to worry about. You will just have to push a little harder, sweet, Okay. On the next one give it a little more." she smiled at Emrys and I could see the flash of worry in her eyes.

She glanced over at me and I gave her a reassuring nod to continue on. The next contraction came soon enough and though she tried her hardest, things were not moving along. Emrys took a new breathe in. Doctor Sal kept everything very calm and positive in the room but did ask for fewer people to be around as they would need some more space. I felt as if my place was no longer beside Emrys so chose to let my dad and mum on facetime to stay or Annie for moral support.