{15}

Damon Mortimer:

I stood in front of the door waiting for Rhys to open up and let me in for my day taking care of Aj alone. I phoned my mum up last night and told her I might be coming with the little lad later on today but my main goal was to make this a fun day and so that Aj can help me set up a second date with his mum.

"Hi, come in." Rhys smiled at me with and ushered me in.

She continued running back and forth shoving things in her bad, pens flying all over the place alongside papers. Aj was sitting on the counter with his teddy in hand rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

I looked around and not much had changed since last night but Emrys still looked tired. I handed Aj a plain piece of toast that he stared at and threw on the ground.

"Aj, that's the second slice of toast. You like toast eat it." Rhys sighed and went to pick the toast up and throwing it in the bin.

"No good mama. Not enough butter." Aj frowned.

"Aj the butter was covering the toast like usual. It's the same." she tried to reason with him.

I felt quite awkward standing there and watching things unravel.

"No. Do again." Aj demanded, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Aj, I have done it twice already. That's enough food wasted." Emrys sighed a little aggravated, stress clear on her face.

"Don't worry about him sunshine I will take care of his breakfast later." I negotiated to try and divert the tension in the air.

Rhys turned to me giving me a thankful look and continued getting her things ready. When she was done she swung her bag on her shoulder and put her coat on ready to leave. She kissed Aj's cheek with a little struggle since he did not want one and pushed her away. With a sad sigh, she walked to the door, twisting the knob to open it but then let it go and turned to me dropping her back.

"I can't leave. Aj is not in a good mood, he might pull a tantrum and he hasn't eaten anything, he's still ill and he has never been with someone new without me being close just in case something happens." she started to panic and rushed to Aj and took him her arms, hugging him tightly.

"I don't want to leave him." she pouted looking at me with sad eyes.

I smiled tenderly her way and gently pried Aj out of her arms. I placed Aj on the floor leading him to lean on my leg wrapping one of his arms around it.

I placed my hands on Emrys' shoulders to make her stop moving, then with one hand to cup her cheek running my thumb gently over it. Her blue eyes meeting my deep brown ones.

"It's going to be fine. If he pulls a tantrum than he will pull a tantrum whether you are here or not. I'll make him eat something later one when he gets hungry. Aj will be fine you have nothing to worry about and if anything happens I will call you, ok my sunshine?" I spoke gently seeing her calm down under my touch.

"Ok. Sorry, it's just –" she sighed "– I have never left him alone for this long without me being in arms reach since he was born if you bare out daycare of course. This is just hard for me." She confessed looking down.

"I know baby girl," I mumbled kissing her forehead.

After a bit more reassurance Emrys finally left for work and I was left with the little lad. I let out a breath and looked down at Aj who was now playing with his cars on the living room rug.

"Let's get dressed shall we?" I clapped my hands and Aj immediately ran into his mother's room.

He climbed on the bed and reached over for his teddy that was still there from the night before and hugged it close to his chest giving me a cheeky smile.