Chapter 2/02

For the next three months in Chaewon's life, she finds trapped in a self-destructive loop.

She swears on her beloved grandmother's grave that today will be the day she'll cut ties with Yunjin, she heads off to work to counsel financially incompetent idiots, she reaches for the bottle of whiskey in her bottom desk drawer and takes a shameful swig just before 5 PM, she meets up with Yunjin in some innocent setting like a dim sum restaurant or a farmer's market or a dog show and then always, inevitably ends up at Yunjin's place-their bodies hot and horizontal.

"Damn," Chaewon exhales, having just rolled off Yunjin's body. She's still flushed, dizzy and delirious in the best way possible.

Yunjin languidly kisses her earlobe, under the impression that Chaewon is breathlessly cursing for a good reason.

And while Chaewon's "damn" was partially influenced by the last tantalizing ten seconds of Yunjin's performance, it's also a "damn" of anger.

This wasn't supposed to happen... again.

She's running out of dead relatives' graves to swear on, alcohol, and excuses as to why she can't let this woman go.

"Stay," Yunjin pleads, tugging at Chaewon's arm when she notices her start to rise up out of bed to get dressed.

"I'm sorry. I have to go. I have work early tomorrow." Chaewon usually says and that usually works except when...

"Tomorrow's Saturday, isn't it?"

Chaewon curses under her breath again and feels Yunjin pulling her back down and placing kisses here, there, and everywhere and suddenly she can't move or talk or think straight (not that she's ever thought straight).

She stays.

But only for tonight. Only this time. Just this time.

It happens eight more times.

Six of those eight times, Chaewon attributes to the shitty shifts she worked a few hours prior. She desperately needed some stress relief and Yunjin was more than pleased to deliver.

One of those eight times, Yunjin claimed to have learned "some new moves" and Chaewon offered to evaluate them because who else was going to? How can one learn whether or not they're good if they don't receive the proper feedback? (And boy, did Chaewon give her feedback.)

And that one other time... it was September 13th: National Celiac Disease Awareness Day. What better way to commemorate it than by having sex- ok, perhaps Chaewon's logic is a little faulty here.

Regardless, it totally was not Chaewon's fault that she ended up in Yunjin's bed, under Yunjin's sheets, between Yunjin's legs.

The angel on her shoulder must have let the devil on her other shoulder take the reins in those moments because this reckless and cavalier behaviour just isn't Chaewon.

"Calm down, Chae, you're going through a phase is all," Chaewon tells herself- nay, gaslights herself while covering up another hickey with concealer and a blouse with a particularly high neckline.

Even when Yunjin texts her standard series of good morning texts...

Huh Yunjin: Good morning, sunshine! ☀️💞

Huh Yunjin: Have a good day at work!

Huh Yunjin: You're the best! I believe in you!

... and attaches a selfie of her and Shiro pouting at the camera...

Huh Yunjin: We miss you 🥺

... and attaches another selfie of just her, just Yunjin, stupid sexy Yunjin with tousled hair and a hand strategically placed on the empty space beside her in bed...

Huh Yunjin: I miss you.

Huh Yunjin: Can't stop thinking about last night

Huh Yunjin: Baby

Huh Yunjin: You were on 🔥

Huh Yunjin: 🥵

... Chaewon still convinces herself this was all a mistake-one that she ought to keep making.