Chapter 5/04

If Shiro had his way, he and Kuro would be chasing squirrels and yipping at cats until the sun comes down.

Much to his disappointment, his mother picks him up and puts him back inside the messenger bag after only 23 rounds of fetch.

"Wave bye bye to your brother," says Yunjin, "We'll try to come back soon for a longer playdate."

Yunjin takes Latte's paw and waves it for him while Chaewon "awws" and Yerim sends them home with a jar of the finest maraschino cherries money can buy and spare Wagyu beef bones for Shiro.

Yunjin slings the now heavier bag over her weak shoulder, takes Chaewon's possibly cancerous hand back into her own, and wastes no time returning to her mission.

She brings Chaewon to her old high school where they roam the halls and relive the cringiest period of Yunjin's life.

"Over there by that water fountain was where I saw my crush, Jennie Kim, make out with the captain of the basketball team. I thought she was gay and into me but turns out she was just an ally."

"And that's the bathroom that I cried in after people spread rumors that I wasn't a real Huh. They said I must've been adopted or the product of an affair because if I were a legitimate Huh, I wouldn't be this much of a loser."

Chaewon's blood boils upon learning this information. She can't take back the deplorable things these rotten kids said, she can't reprimand their parents for raising such horrible and hurtful pieces of shit, but she can hold Yunjin's hand even tighter. That she can do. That she'd gladly do in any situation.

Yunjin smiles, comforted by the gesture and they resume walking in silence, stopping at the teacher's lounge. Yunjin slips her thank you note into the suggestion box.

"Well, that's that. We should get outta here. The lunch bell's probably gonna ring any second-"

Yunjin's timing is impeccable. Within one second, the bell does indeed ring, sending a thousand rowdy teenagers down the halls.

A pair of jocks play catch with an old football, a marching band drummer bangs his drumsticks rhythmically on metal lockers, a group of mediocre theater kids sing a couple of show tunes, and it's all very obnoxious and noisy .

Chaewon's migraine returns in full force, blurring all of her surroundings. She can barely make out the beautiful figure beside her.

"Headache coming back?"

Chaewon nods, and even that hurts.

"Poor thing," Yunjin frowns. "It's ok. Our next stop is the hospital, anyway."