Chapter 3/04

Chaewon is dead-set on her Yunjin strike.

If freedom fighters can go for weeks without eating, drinking, and sleeping, then surely Chaewon can manage a few days without a booty call.

On Day 1, Chaewon opens up her schedule to meet an additional three clients. She does an hour of overtime.

On Day 2, Chaewon graciously offers to convert the paper forms that her company used during their systemwide downtime into digital forms. The process is monotonous and mind numbing but it earns her an extra three hours of overtime and bonus points with her balding boss.

On Day 3, Chaewon drives her boss's kids to and from school. She also buys his wife a diamond necklace and his mistress skimpy lingerie.

On Day 4, the janitor asks Chaewon to lock up for the night. Her car is the only one left in the lot. She walks alone in the dark, pepper spray in one hand and her phone with Yunjin on speed dial in the other.

On Day 5, Chaewon knocks on Yunjin's door because she misses her so damn much.

Yunjin missed her too.

It's evident in the way Yunjin sighs at the sight of her, like Yunjin has been wandering in a cave for ages and here comes Chaewon, her rescuer, with a torch and a way out.

Or in the way Yunjin hoists Chaewon up on the kitchen counter and starts doing what Yunjin does best.

It's evident in the bolognese sauce that's simmering on the stove; Yunjin adjusted the recipe to fit two people, on the off chance that Chaewon would drop by tonight, exhausted from a hectic work week and craving a hearty meal with her undisputed favorite person.

It felt like Yunjin had been waiting an eternity for Chaewon despite it only being five days.

But that's what happens when you love someone: you can't get enough of them. Weeks feel like eternities and forevers can't seem to start soon enough.

In between Yunjin's desperate (and woefully distracting) kisses, Chaewon makes the conscious decision to lose her entire weekend to Yunjin. Chaewon stays over, Yunjin cooks for her, they eat, they make love, they fall asleep, they tend to Shiro, Yunjin cooks some more, they eat, they make love, and Chaewon thinks of that movie she saw called Groundhog Day where the protagonist is forced to live the same day over and over again.

Chaewon figures, if she and Yunjin were to be sentenced to the same fate, then maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing.

"I can't believe I have to go back to work tomorrow," Chaewon complains into the crook of Yunjin's neck.

"Did I make you forget about the whole world outside?" Yunjin smirks.

"God, Yunjin," Chaewon sighs, "Sometimes you make me forget my name."

Yunjin slides a hand under her own head and gazes at the ceiling. "I'm that good, huh?"

Chaewon hits Yunjin with a pillow but can't bring herself to disagree. "You're the best."

The band geek inside Yunjin screams because at long last, she's finally made it: she's earned the praise and recognition of a pretty girl-and not just any pretty girl, the prettiest girl.

"Did I ever tell you my family is loaded?"

Chaewon arches her brow. "What?"

"Yeah, my family's rich," Yunjin states matter-of-factly, "Like vacation in the Hamptons, play polo on Sundays, eat caviar and lobster for a midnight snack kind of rich. So rich that our butlers have their own butlers kind of rich."