Chapter 3/03

"So you're probably wondering how I cracked my screen."

Hyeju Son, technician at Starlight Mall's Smartphone Repair, looks up at her customer with a blunt expression. "Not really, Miss. People drop their phones all the time."

Chaewon purses her lips, offended by this teenager's rudeness. By her estimations, Hyeju can't possibly be a day over 17; she's definitely a high schooler.

Chaewon won't let herself be disrespected by a high schooler!

"Well, I assure you my circumstances are different," Chaewon humphs, "The story of how I cracked my screen dates back several months ago. It all started when I decided to give dating a go again..."

Over the next half hour, Chaewon recaps the latest installments of her love life despite Hyeju never asking.

"...so when I read Yunjin's last text, I didn't know what to do. Something came over me. I felt all weird and tingly. I yelped and in a panic, I threw my phone across my office. I don't know. I really don't know..." Chaewon stares at the uninterested teenager before her and comes to a sudden realization. "Hey! You're a teen. You communicate primarily through text, right? So what do you think this all means? What's your interpretation? Why am I behaving so strangely?"

Hyeju wipes the new phone screen with a microfiber cloth and hands the phone back to its neurotic owner. "Sounds like you're down bad for this Yunjin."

"What does that mean?"

Hyeju laughs at this millennial woman's unfamiliarity with Gen Z slang.

"Means you're in love with her. Anyway, that'll be $800, excluding the required tip."

Permanent wrinkle lines manifest themselves on Chaewon's forehead upon hearing this. She isn't sure which is more offensive: the outrageous charge or the out-of-nowhere suggestion that she could possibly be in love... in love with...in love with Yun.. Yunjin- Chaewon can't even comprehend it!

"I most certainly am not!" Chaewon clutches her purse. "I'm not in... I don't have those feelings you speak of and I refuse to pay that amount! I might as well buy a new phone!"

"Geez lady, chill! It was a joke. You only have to pay $80 and tip is optional-but highly appreciated of course."

Chaewon scoffs, digs into her purse, and hands Hyeju a $100 bill. (She may be lacking severely in the customer service department, but Chaewon's got to give it to her: Hyeju's a speedy worker and she gets the job done right).

"Keep the change."

For the first time in their interaction, Chaewon witnesses a genuine smile from the sullen teenager. "Hey, thanks!"

"You're welcome. And you were kidding about Yunjin too, right?"

"Mmmmm," Hyeju opens up the cash register and pockets a $20 for herself, "Nope, I wasn't."

"You weren't?!"

Hyeju laughs again. "Take it from me, the love guru. I know it when I see it. You're down baaaaaad. You're fucked."

Chaewon makes a mental note to add "the technician uses offensive language" to her future Yelp review.

"I'm sorry? What made you some expert on love?"

Hyeju holds a finger up, wordlessly asking Chaewon to give her a second. Hyeju then pulls her phone out from her back pocket and shows Chaewon her lock screen.

It's of a blonde girl in a pink beanie and a mint green sweater. She's on a skateboard, grinding down a stair rail. She looks to be around the same age as Hyeju.

"My girlfriend," Hyeju says with tremendous pride-the type of pride that an entire battalion has for their general, the type of pride that makes people lay down their lives and fall on their swords because their belief is that strong, their devotion that unyielding; it's the type of pride that you reserve for only the kindest and gentlest of persons, those who can make flowers bloom and butterfly wings flap.

"Yena's a senior, you know?" Hyeju, a junior, brags. "I bagged a senior and prom is coming up soon and she's nominated for queen! So I really need those tips. I'm busting my ass, working extra hours. And thanks to your donation, I'm another step closer to my goal. For just $20 a day, you can help this lesbian rent a limo for her girlfriend."

Chaewon smiles, happy to learn that the proceeds are going to a good cause. Is there anything sweeter than young love?

"Well, I hope you reach your goal. I guess you could say you're... down bad too?" Chaewon asks, uncertain if she's using the lingo properly.

"Yena works at another kiosk, at the other end of the mall. She sells bath bombs. I bought a 100 pack from her. I only have a shower in my bathroom. Does that answer your question?"