21. Memories

Tobias p.o.v.

Now what? I was so caught up in my momentary courageous triumph that I didn't even take into consideration where I would spend the night. I can't go to Tris' house because knowing Mr Prior, he'll just take me back home so Marcus and I could 'talk things through'.

Oh God, where's Will? I need him right now. I need him to calm my father down.

'It's alright, Bass. Everything will be okay'

Where the hell is he? How could he just leave me alone like that? I can't believe I was childish enough to actually expect him to apologize and stick around.

I shiver as a gust of wind ushers me into an alley. This isn't the first time Marcus threatened to kick me out, it's just the first time he's actually done it. Part of me is proud and I grin minimally in the freezing dark. I managed to piss him off enough to a point where he couldn't even handle me.

Congratulations genius, look where that got you.

''Tobias? Bro is that you?''

I turn around find a squinting Zeke. I make my way towards him.

"Dude what the hell are you doing in an alley at like almost 8p.m.? Shouldn't you be headin' home? I mean take it from me man, these places get hella scary hella fast."

I smile and rub the back of my neck. How the hell am I going to word this?

''Um I... uh... my dad uh..."

"Lemme guess, had a fight with the old man, left feeling badass and now it would completely ruin the moment if you were to return?"

I smile sheepishly and nod. Well, why not? For one thing it sounds much better than 'I lost my keys and my dad's out of town'. It's also closer to the truth.

"Come on," He gestures for me to follow him." You can spend the night at my place."

"Thanks, Zeke"

"Don't mention it, I still owe you for that physics homework. Anytime's a good time to repay my debt right?"

I chuckle, something which up to a few minutes ago seemed like an impossibility.

Tris p.o.v.

I sit on Christina's bed while she grabs another bag of crisps from downstairs. My mind wanders to Tobias. I hope he's alright. 'Course he is Tris. He's strong, he can take care of himself, you know that. What could possibly happen in one night?'

A lot.

Maybe I should just give him a call, just to make sure he's fine. I pull out my phone about to call him but Christina walks in and takes it from my hands.

''Chris!''

She sticks out her tongue at me . Then jumps onto the bed.

"C'mon Tris, I thought we could spend some gal time together. Look if you really need it I'll-''

''No, no it's fine it's not important."

Tobias will be fine. I'm sure.

"So Tris, what's up? Everything alright?''

''Yeah. Things are good I guess"

"That's good," she says, then takes a fistful of popcorn. ''So anyway, how are things with Tobias?"

"What? Um good." What does she mean? "I mean he's like...really sweet. Shy yeah but just really nice and funny. What about Will?"

Will the guy she was texting on the day I met her asked her out just a couple months back and she was head over heels for him. I'd gotten to know him through the time I've lived here. He's a nice guy. He pretty smart, he even helps Christina study sometimes. Apparently his sister is dating William Eaton. Speaking of William Eaton, what happened to him? After that night, Tobias said he had disappeared and hasn't shown his face since.