28. The Aftermath: Tris

Tris p.o.v.

I pace around in the living room. From the couch to the TV. From the TV to the easy chair. From the easy chair to the coffee table. From the coffee table to the couch. And again. I can hear muffled voices through the wall but I can't really tell what my father is saying.

I can't believe Tobias is asking him for permission.  What a dork!

I wrap my arms around myself and smile. He called me a few days ago and told me the whole thing. He asked his father and apparently Marcus told him it was absolutely necessary to ask dad. I still can't believe the turn of the last few months. The effect shows on Tobias as well, he's smiling more often. And to my delight, his beautiful blue eyes crinkle when he does. 

In other news, both of us got a spot on the sports teams at school. He and I are both on track. Zeke tried to recruit him onto the football team but Tobias turned him down.  Like me, he's much more fast than he is strong. I've seen him run and it's incredible, it's like he splits the air in half and just disappears in it. He's top of the squad, though he often dismisses any praise. It's like he has this shield on that deflects anything remotely positive about him, the only things that manage to enter is the criticism. 'Run Faster'. 'Work Harder'. 'Behave'. I've seen the effect they have on him. He can become obsessive. Just like he was when we first got on the team. Our coach would tell him to practice a little more, and he wouldn't stop running till he was about to collapse. I'd stay after school with Caleb (Mathletes, our parents wanted us to come home together). And I'd look outside the window and see him there on the track, running and running. Yearning for perfection. 

It's incredible. He's incredible.

I talked to him about it and about a whole bunch of other things too. Like why he wouldn't go on the Ferris wheel with me that time we went to a field trip down near Roslyn Park. Or why he damn near fainted that time we got in an elevator. Turns out he is deathly afraid of heights and he is immensely claustrophobic. The weird thing is that when I asked him about it he said, "I didn't used to be". Like it's something that happened over time. I remember that night. He had the same look in his eyes like when he told me about Marcus. 

Marcus. Ha! I can't believe it. Tobias tells me that he's much better now. As if the damage isn't done! I can't believe Tobias could just move on so easily. Then again, he's a much better person than I am. I can't believe he feels comfortable around his father after all the things that bastard has done.

Calm down Tris, this is not your battle to fight.

I remember my mother saying that to me when I was younger and I'd see people just accept maltreatment. I'd get so angry and... Oh, God what the hell is taking them so long. I mean, it's a yes or no question, what could they possibly be discussing? To the couch. And again. Finally the door to my father's office opens and he calls me in.

"Beatrice, a word please."

I walk in, stealing a glance at Tobias on my way in. He's smiling, that's good right? 

"Well, I can bet you know what this is about, don't you Bea?"

I nod. From my periphery I can see Tobias wipe his hands on his pants, then shake them out.

"Well then why don't we just get this over with. You two may go out with each other but! I don't want any fooling around, I suppose you are both mature enough for me not to be obliged to detail what that entails, right?"

I nod and I hear a 'yes, sir' from Tobias.

"Good. I guess we're done here then. Tobias, I appreciate the fact that you asked me for permission before."

Tobias nods, smiling. We walk out into the living room and my father heads to the kitchen, he's probably going to tell mom.

"Thanks, dad." I turn to Tobias. "Are you leaving now?"

"Uh yeah actually. I promised dad I'd be back be back before too long. I'll call you tonight, though"

Dad... It's such a stark contrast to the Marcus he used to seethe.

"Oh well, let me at least walk you to the door."

I walk him to the door. He turns back at the last minute and meets my gaze. He looks so handsome right now, it's unbelievable. His fingers twitch like he wants to take my head. His eyes, his beautiful blue eyes. The crinkle when he smiles. His smiles, they're so shy, so small. The way he laughs. Oh screw it!

I reach up and he bends slightly downwards. Our lips meet. I love him. I love him so much. He kisses me and wraps his arms around me, finally feeling free in his own skin. He hols me tight, and I hug him back.

A buzzing in his back pocket breaks us apart. 

"Sorry, Tris."

He pulls out his phone. "I have to run Tris, Marcus wants me home. I'll see you later."

I love him so much, so so much.