30. A date

Tobias p.o.v.

Tris takes my hand as we walk towards the pier. It's our very first proper parents-are-aware date. She squeezes my hand and somehow it feels like she just flipped the switch on the endorphin generator all over again. Happiness floods through me and I am unable to shrink the grin playing on my face. It's a recent development, the inability to stop smiling I mean, not the grin. I've always been able to grin. Christ, Tobias. 

"So are you gonna tell me where we're going, lover boy?"

"It's a surprise. Did you get what I asked you to?"

"Yep"

"Great"

Brilliant, this is going to be wonderful. I asked Will for advice on a good first date and he told me about a spot he took Cara to. I needed ideas for cheap, yet amazing dates since albeit Marcus approves of this he is not willing to fund it. Understandable. Cheap, but understandable. I guide Tris to the secluded spot that Will showed me last Saturday when I went over for a movie. We watched the Avengers. Apparently there's this whole Marvel series that I've been missing out on. Fun fact: We were actually gonna watch We're the Millers but then Cara and the other Will joined us and since his mother was coming too at any moment, we didn't want to risk having her walk in on a half naked Jennifer Allison, or whatever her name is. So. Yeah. Avengers it is. 

After a few more minutes of walking we finally get to the spot. I drop my  backpack onto the floor and Tris unwraps her blanket. I pull out a few packets I managed to get via the  W. Eaton support young couples foundation, and set them on the blanket, followed by a 'borrowed' bottle of soda. I hope Marcus doesn't have guests.

We sit down and chat for a bit snacking on our stolen provisions for a while, until Tris gives me this look like she wants to ask me something. She fidgets with her fingers and looks at me with uncertainty.

"Can I ask you something Tobias?"

I nod, "Sure, what's up?"

"Well um... How are things with Marcus?"

Marcus? Why would she bring up Marcus on our date.

"They're good I guess. He hasn't uh hurt me in a while so that's good."

She nods along. "So you've forgiven him?"

I snort involuntarily. "No, 'course not. He ruined my childhood, hurt my mother, hurt me ... I'd be crazy to forgive him after all of that. I mean he's gotten nicer, that much is true, but that doesn't mean that I'm just going to forget the last seventeen years of my life. Right now, I'm just going along with it till I find the right moment to leave."

She looks taken aback for a moment, then nods. "Seems reasonable. I... I mean you're right, it's just- I've been meaning to ask you something since the day you told me. And um you had said that you'd tell me someday, and I was wondering if maybe today was that day."

I smile for her to go on and she does. "I just...why didn't you tell anyone?"

I think about it for a second, trying to choose the right words as an answer. Nothing sounds good right now, so finally I decide to just talk. I mean the message will get through one way or another.

"I guess... I didn't want any pity. I didn't want to be known as the kid with the screwed up childhood and the psycho dad. I... there are so many people who become a tragedy. Like, think of my mother. Hardly anyone remembers her as the loving mother or as Evelyn Eaton. Whenever someone mentions the mayor's wife, the only thing that comes to mind is died in a car accident. Nothing else surfaces. I didn't want that to happen to me. I didn't want to be the kid who got beat up. I want to be the person Zeke and you know. Not some freak with a bruise."

"The loving, sweet, funny guy that Zeke and I know?" She leans in and I find it harder to breathe. And yet I'm not uncomfortable.

"That's the one"

I lean in and close the space between us. Electricity explodes from where our lips meet and she kisses me harder. I wrap an arm around her waist and she scoots closer. We pull apart but she rests closer to me, almost on my lap. I wrap my arms around her, my hands on her waist.

"I love you Tris."

She looks back, smiling.

"I love you Tobias."

A/N

Heyyy everybody, This is the very last chapter of Eaton. I hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it. I'm sorry this is short but I just wanted to have a little date between Tris and Tobias. A simple yet sweet way to end it all. 

I hope you guys liked it. There may be some more stories from me in the future, maybe. But for now, this is it for me.

One last time, I hope you guys have/had a nice day.

Over and out,

xxRachele :)