Chapter 27: Nature... Friend of Foe?

Omniscient

"Attention all!" The pilot called over the intercom, "The time is Now 19:55 and it seems like the storm is following up to the East and may be with us until Albuquerque. This plane is pretty light so we will feel a lot of it. But I PROMISE you will make it to your destination safe and sound."

Nala and Reese groaned simultaneously as they listened to the pilot. For the last 45 minutes on the plane, they have been dealing with constant turbulence, thunder and rain. Catori had been agitated and whimpering. Nala sat curled up in her seat with her headphones on and watched Reese try to soothe the toddler with no avail and he became agitated himself as he walked from the front the cabin to the back softly rubbing Catori's back as he clung to his neck.

Look at him trying to be a good father. 

Nala thought to herself as she leaned her head on the knuckles of her right hand watching the pair as they passed by every 30 seconds.

I wonder what made him bring him along and not with the other kids. Plane rides can be horrible for kids especially when you have nothing or no one to distract them. They will need your undivided attention.

A bright flash of light flash flooded the cabin that temporarily blinded Nala. A second later there was a loud gut-wrenching sound of thunder that temporarily shook the Jet causing Maurice to stumble falling back into the closest seat next to him.

"SHIT!!!" He hissed as he covered Catori's ears as he cried. Nala hopped up looking back to see if they were ok. Their eyes met and Reese sucked his teeth and shook his head before diverting his attention to his now screaming son.

The second flash of thunder and lightening hit, going off like a one of the Police flash bangs sent Catori into an uncontrollable frenzy. The piercing screams sent Nala into Mommy Mode. She hopped up quickly going to the baby's aide.

"Where's his iPad?" She asked Reese who raised his eyebrows at her as if to say, 'What iPad'. She shook her head in disappointment as she grabbed Catori from his father lap and stood up. "Seriously Reese?.."

Turbulence began to shake the jet again causing Nala to slightly loose her balance. Maurice quickly stood up quickly, grabbing her hips to stabilize her. "You good?"

She nodded her head to reassure him, "You got your phone?"

"...Yea" he replied hesitantly as she snickered and rolled her eyes. She peeled her headphones off of her head and pushed them into his chest. Taking his left hand from her hip he placed them over her hand that held her headphones to his chest looking. Looking down at their hand and back up into her eyes he spoke, "What you want me to do?"

Nala sighed and forced a smile as she slipped hand from under his and placed them on Catori's back as she bounced him slightly.  "Pair them to your phone so he can Watch a movie."

She walked away from Maurice and began letting down the shades, "A Land Before Time, he might like that. Yea?"

Nodding Maurice as he sat down and began to pair her headphones with his phone. He placed the headphones on his head to make sure they were pairing when he noticed Nala's music was still playing. It was at the end of one of his more recent songs that he wrote about her. His heart fluttered as he bit down into his bottom lip and stare at her as she consoled his son.

I didn't know she still listened to me...

He thought to himself as he listened to himself sing an indirect apology.

"You done?" Nala asked as she sat next to him.

"Nahh" he replied, "Gimme your phone, it's still playing."