01| Court of Victory

"In the case of People versus Venessa Norris, on the charge of first-degree murder, we find the defendant not guilty," the jury's verdict resounded through the courtroom

"In the case of People versus Venessa Norris, on the charge of first-degree murder, we find the defendant not guilty," the jury's verdict resounded through the courtroom. The collective tension that had held the air was finally released, and the courtroom erupted into cheers and camera flashes. A triumphant smile formed on my lips. This was my first murder case, and while it was routine for criminal defence attorneys, for a corporate lawyer like me, it marked a milestone.

My gaze shifted to my right, where Venessa Norris, my client, clung to the table in front of us, tears streaming down her face. Not only did she get her freedom back but also her reputation. Placing a comforting hand on her shoulder, I gave her a reassuring smile.

In an instant, her arms were around me, hugging me tightly. "Holy shit, Holy shit, Holy shit," she breathed rapidly, her voice a mix of disbelief and elation. Cupping my face in her hands, she exclaimed, "You did it! I knew you could! You're amazing! I could seriously kiss you right now." Laughter followed, and she hugged me again, the prospect of a kiss imminent.

I chuckled, knowing her well. "Sorry, no kisses for that, Norris," I teased, unable to hide my own amusement. "But you do owe me a burger now that it's over." Venessa Norris, daughter of Eden Norris, owner of Caribbean Airlines, was a long-standing client of Reign Sinclair Knight, my law firm.

A mischievous twinkle danced in her eyes. "Most people would celebrate with a drink after winning a trial like this, you know. Not a burger," she quipped.

"Ah, well, I'm not most people," I countered, leading the way out of the courtroom. My phone buzzed with a message, and I glimpsed at it, spotting a text from my boss, Klaudia Reign. Sighing, I turned to Venessa apologetically. "Rain check on that burger. Klaudia needs me back at the firm."

"Come on, maybe she's finally offering you senior partnership!" Venessa exclaimed, her blonde hair bouncing as she jumped in excitement.

Arched eyebrows greeted her statement. "How did you even know senior partnership was a possibility?" I questioned, genuinely puzzled.

A playful smirk curved her lips. "Come on, Hayat. You wouldn't have taken on such a high-stakes murder case unless something big was in the works."

We had crossed paths two years ago when Venessa, caught vandalizing her cheating ex-boyfriend's car, faced a potential scandal that her father's reputation couldn't afford. Klaudia had sent me to manage the situation discreetly, and that's how our friendship began. Despite our differences, Venessa's touchiness included being around her was interesting.

"Well, not entirely true. I took this case for you," I responded with a tilted head and a mock-innocent smile, intertwining my fingers with hers.

"Babe you got to learn how to lie better" she rolls her eyes and laughs at my failed attempt to charm her. "Let me drop you off, it's the least I can do for you" she grabs my arm and shoves me into her 2021 Mercedes Maybach S-Class not even giving me a chance to decline.

Being a lawyer in New York meant being a Gladiator. You had to be the best, there was no space for mistakes, hesitation, and fear. If you wanted to be the best then you had to take the title and in order for me to tackle the title I had to work under Klaudia Reign. She was one the best. Some feared her and most admired her. She was someone who could turn the odds in her favour at any given moment.

"We're here, babes," Venessa's voice broke my reverie. Her concerned gaze met mine. "You seem lost."

I mustered up a reassuring smile. "Just tired," I lied smoothly. The truth was I was far from tired; I was scared. Klaudia wasn't calling me up to congratulate me. She found something out. Do you know the feeling when your parents call you when you're out with your friends and tell you to come home because they want to talk. That's what I was feeling. Klaudia Basically raised me, I was left in an alley beside a dumpster. I grew up in a life filled with violence and destruction. I got involved with a notorious gang leader who became a known killer in the underworld. Void. That was what I was known by. Nobody knew who I really was but Klaudia.

Flashback (11 years ago) _________________

"Let go, you stupid motherfucker!" The piercing voice echoed through the alley, drawing me in. Another routine mugging, I thought, taking a drag of my cigarette. But this time, there was something different, something intriguing.

"Those are Louboutins, assholes! Let go of my purse, or I'll jam my nail into your eyes!" The woman's fierce voice and her audacious threat piqued my interest. I discarded my cigarette and ventured into the alley.

In the shadows, a woman stood tall, defiantly gripping her stilettos. Her determination to fight back was admirable, but her stance was vulnerable. She would stab the man, no doubt, but not without receiving multiple wounds herself.

"Listen here bitch, your lucky I'm letting you go after you fucking ripped my ear drum. I'm only going to say this once, get out before I kill you." The man sneered at her. Amateur. That's what he was. They were both all bark no bites.

A scoff escaped me, drawing their attention. "Really? Because from where I stand, the only thing you could kill is a bug." The words left my lips before I fully realized what I was doing. Swiftly, I hurled my knife, ending the man's life before he could even react.

The woman stared at me, wide-eyed and stunned.

Before she could get a word out, I turned to leave. But her voice reached me again, persistent and determined. "Hello! Wait up!"

I ignored her initial calls, but she pursued me, blocking my path. In one swift motion, I twisted her arm and pinned her against the wall. "Don't touch me," I warned through gritted teeth, my patience waning.

She persisted, undeterred. "I'm a lawyer. I can help you. You saved my life. It's the least I can do."

End of Flashback ______________

I reminisce with a soft smile, thinking back to the day our paths first crossed. As I ascend to the 50th floor of our esteemed firm, a sense of purpose guides my steps.

"Do I get a raise?" Vera, my secretary, greets me with a knowing smile as I navigate the bustling corridor en route to my office.

"Convince me you deserve one," I playfully retorted, a mischievous smirk dancing on my lips. Her exasperated expression promises an outburst, which amuses me to no end.

"Working late until 11 pm and having your dinners delivered isn't sufficient, huh?" She narrows her eyes and gives me a withering stare.

I suppress a chuckle, fully aware that her mock outrage is just the beginning. "You're absolutely right. I should be giving you more work," I jest, barely able to contain my amusement at her reaction.

"We'll continue this banter later. At the moment, there are more pressing matters on your agenda," Vera's grin widens, signalling the impending bombshell. "Miss Reign is awaiting your presence in her office."

My expression darkens, and I can't help but shoot Vera a glare while simultaneously offering her my middle finger. With a sigh, I adjust my suit and head towards Klaudia's office, knowing I fucked something up.

____________________

A/N

Word Count: 1244

Hello lovessssssssss

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, it was mostly for a back story. The book will start off I little slow but I will start to pace it in a few chapters.

What do you think Hayat fucked up?

Ah well you'll find out in the next chapter, so stay tuned.