18| Game of Power

I take slow, deliberate breaths, attempting to regain my composure as I distance myself from the judge's bench

I take slow, deliberate breaths, attempting to regain my composure as I distance myself from the judge's bench. Frustration simmers within me as this individual manages to slip evidence into the trial, leaving me powerless because I'm unaware of its content.

Sinking into my chair, Deluca hands me the 'Exhibit D' document. My gaze falls upon it, and a shock courses through my body. The image depicted shows two figures locked in a heated struggle, unmistakably Carson holding a gun to Valentina's head. My eyes close briefly as a wave of anger surges through me. Once again, Carson has deceived me. Without giving him so much as a glance, I slide the picture toward him.

"Mr. Scutari, do you recall this?" I inquire.

"No," Milo responds, his emotions well hidden.

"Where were you?"

"Objection, Your Honor, relevance?" I interject.

"Withdrawn," Deluca quips, sending me a smirk.

"Mr. Scutari, care to elaborate?" Deluca probes.

"No," Milo retorts, a small smile playing on my lips.

"Mr. Scutari, you're obliged to answer the question," the judge states, his amusement evident.

Milo sighs before begrudgingly responding, "Carson isn't violent. He believes that violence is beneath him, which is why I suspect this photo is fake." As Milo finishes his statement, murmurs ripple through the courtroom, prompting the judge to call for order.

"Mr. Scutari, I assure you that this photo is real; you simply didn't see it happening because Mr. Koslov chose to keep it hidden from any witnesses," Deluca scoffs. This causes me to stand up and smack my hand on the table.

"Objection, your honor Counsel is testifying."

"No need your honor, statement withdrawn and no more questions for this witness." Deluca concludes before he makes his way back and take s a seat. It was time for my cross.

"Good morning, Mr. Scutari." "Mr Scutari, how long have you known Carson?" I ask as I go towards him.

Milo nods and adds, "25 years, give or take."

"Have you two been close for a long time?"

"We are, he's like my brother," Milo says, his gaze moving from me to Carson.

"What kind of man is Carson Koslov, Mr. Scutari?"

"Carson is the most lively member of the family. He is the only one of us who feels that violence is not the answer. He aided me in becoming the guy I am today. He is always willing to provide a helping hand. Carson Koslov is a kind guy."

"To the best of your knowledge, Mr Scutari, do you believe Mr Koslov murdered Valentina Cordova?"

"No, I know he didn't."