17| Unleash the Storm

The deafening thud of my office door being flung open draws my immediate attention

The deafening thud of my office door being flung open draws my immediate attention. My gaze rises to find Hayat, unmistakably furious, striding into the room, with my secretary trailing behind her, uttering something under her breath.

My heart begins to race the moment our eyes lock. Everything had turned awkward after the engagement day, so I'd been avoiding her as much as possible.

"Where the hell is he?" She hisses, her glare locked onto me. Who is she talking about? I furrow my brow and motion for my secretary to leave. I rise from my chair and approach her, my curiosity piqued.

Her musky vanilla scent begins to cloud my senses.

"Language, Malyshka. And who are you looking for?" I inquire, crossing my arms.

"Your brother," she sneers. Oh, Fuck. What has my brother done now?

"He's in a meeting with the department heads. It'll be over in another ten minutes. Why don't you take a seat and calm down? I'll get him as soon as he's available," I suggest, guiding her to a chair and pouring her a glass of water before retreating to my seat.

"Tell me, Malyshka, what's wrong?" I lean back in my chair, genuinely concerned.

"Your brother has made this trial so much more complicated than it already was," she sighs, raising her hands to her face and rubbing her temples. It's only then that I notice just how truly exhausted she appears. She's shouldering an immense burden in such a short time, and my own confusing emotions are certainly not helping the situation.

I was so confused. I hated myself for wanting to kill every man who made her smile. I hated how I wanted to murder everyone who noticed the sparkle in her eye and wondered why she laughed. I hate how she carries the weight of the world on her shoulders and never complains. I hate it when my heart begins racing when I see her. I hate how she drives me insane.

"Hey, what's up," my brother casually mutters with a smile as he notices Hayat. Apparently, the feeling isn't mutual, as she shoots him a harsh glare before sitting up and gesturing for him to take the chair in front of her.

"Mr. Koslov, I thought I made it clear that every action you take will be heavily scrutinized by the media, considering you're on trial for murder," she says, her frustration evident as she closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, causing me to furrow my brow. "What part of that wasn't clear?"

"I took your warning very seriously, Hayat. I don't understand what you mean," Carson replies swiftly, his eyes revealing nothing.

"What do you call jury tampering." She says this while clenching her teeth. What the heck is going on? Jury Tampering. If he did this, I'm going to fucking murder him.

"Hayat I can guarantee you that I have no idea what you're on about." Just as he says this, Hayat reaches into her bag and revives an orange envelope. She reaches into the envelope and pulls out a stack of photographs, which she places on the table in front of her.

"In the state of New York, Mr. Koslov, handing a juror from your murder trial millions of dollars in your company's garage late at night is considered jury tampering."

Carson's silence confirms Hayat's claim, which causes me to close my eyes and rub my brow. I had just about had is shit. If sleeping with the enemy's daughter and being blamed by her father for her death wasn't enough, he decided to tamper with the jury.

"When I took your case, I made it clear that there had to be nothing but transparency between us," Hayat warns him. "I told you that the second you start lying to me, your case would be harder to win. I explained the consequences of your actions, what's at stake—your life, your reputation, your legacy. You still chose to endanger it. Do you think I can't win? I have never lost a case, Mr. Koslov, and I don't plan on losing this one because of your lack of judgment and trust issues. Either find a way to trust me and believe I can win this case, or find yourself another mediocre lawyer, because that's what you'll get after I drop this case." She glares at him intensely.

We can't win this case without her. We need her. I need her.

Carson eventually nods, his jaw clenched, unable to find any words to defend his actions.

"Good. Now that we're on the same page, let me deal with the photos so Deluca doesn't get his hands on them. Tomorrow, Deluca will call Milo and Pierce to the stand since they were with you that night. I need to know if there's anything they might say that could compromise our case," Hayat says, leaning back into the couch.

"No, they were there with me that night, but I told them to let loose and have fun," Carson replies, shaking his head.

"Alright. Be ready tomorrow. Although the trial has already begun, the real test starts tomorrow. Deluca will do everything in his power to tarnish your image, but remember, whatever he says is hearsay because he can't prove a thing," she concludes with a smirk.

________________________

"Your Honour, the prosecution calls Milo Scutari to the stand" Deluca says, giving Hayat a smile that causes my eye to quiver. If he stares at her like that again, I'm going to chop him up and serve him to my dog.

"Mr Scutari, I believe you are part of Mr Koslov's security detail, correct?" Deluca requests that they walk closer to Milo. Milo was one of my guys, and I knew he'd never say anything that would jeopardize Carson or the mob.

"Yes, that's correct," Milo responds with a bored expression.

"Mr Scutari, does this mean you are obligated to be wherever Mr Koslov is?"

"Yes, but I don't just do it because it's my job; Carson is like my brother, and it's my responsibility to protect him at all times." Milo frowns at Deluca, apparently annoyed by his inquiry.

"I see. Mr Scutari, to the best of your knowledge, what was the victim Valentina Cordova's connection with Carson Koslov?"

"Ms Cordova was furious with Mr Koslov. Mr Koslov, to the best of my knowledge, had no feelings for Ms Cordova."

"Was there any bad blood between Mr Koslov and Ms Cordova, Mr Scutari?"

"Nope, there wasn't."

"Prosecution Exhibit D, your honour."

"Objection, your honor. Exhibit D was not part of the discovery process," Hayat interjects, rising to her feet.

"Your Honor, I received these photos this morning, which is why I couldn't contact Miss Malik in advance," Deluca swiftly responds. The piece of garbage is trying to pull a fast one.

"Mr. Deluca, I will allow this once, but let me remind you that this is a court of law, not a circus. I will not tolerate any attempts to deceive the court," the judge sternly warns, causing murmurs to break out in the courtroom. At least the judge isn't letting Deluca run the show.

_____________________

Helloooooooo Lovesssssss,

I hope you having a wonderful day. 

I am currently trying to write as many chapters as possible to I can post 1-2 chapter every two days.

I just want to know who decided to make quantum mechanics apart of chemistry, like dude why?

Anyways let me know how the chapter wasssss!

What do you think is in Exhibit D?