14| Bound for Empire

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Hayat Malik. I'm the defence attorney. This is my client Carson Koslov. I'm sure you've heard some things about him previously. But I only ask that you keep an open mind until you've heard everything." I say this while standing in front of the jury box. Most jurors just nodded at me, while others gazed at me expressionlessly.

"I'm going to keep this short because I want to get to the evidence. Mr Deluca, keep promising things like the gun. Now, in his opening statement, he mentioned the word gun eight times. He told you eight times that Mr. Koslov used a gun to murder an innocent bystander. What he didn't tell you the first eight times is that the prosecution has no 'gun,' and no method to link Mr. Koslov to a gun, because no gun was found in the room or anywhere near the hotel." When I notice a couple jurors staring at me with wide eyes, I smirk inside.

"You see, none of this matters to the cops because it's clear to them that once the investigation focused on Mr. Koslov, that was the end of it. They did not notice anything else. They did not examine any other prospective suspects or evidence. They didn't care because they already had their suspect and had never looked back. Ladies and gentlemen, this case is about tunnel vision, focusing on one suspect while ignoring all other evidence. I guarantee that after you're on the other side of the prosecution's tunnel, you'll be looking around to see where their case is. Thank you very much." I give one last nod before walking back to my seat.

I take a deep breath and a sip of water as I take a seat.

If I wanted to win, I had to play my cards perfectly. Deluca had a lot of aces and kings because of Carson's past, but all I had to do was make their evidence seem like shit and I'd win the case before he knew it.

____________________

"You have a conference call tomorrow at 9 a.m. with Eden Norris. Oh, and Ms. Diego gave you a couple of prospective agreements that she wants you to check into to see if they're any good." Vera retorts, smiling at me. Today was bonus day, and she was waiting for me to give her hers. The smile has me wondering if she is really happy or trying to please me for bonus.

Well, good luck to her because I'm going to make her work her ass for it.

"Call Norris and tell her that Ada will take over, and then call Ariella and put her on the line." Still staring down at the find in front of me, I say. I was almost done pouring over discovery but I know the that piece of shit Deluca hid something in here.

"Okay, anything else?" Vera nods, peering over my desk in search of her cheque. This idiot. I scheduled a wired e transfer to her account in exactly four hours for $100,000. No partner gave their secretary a bonus, but their secretaries don't stay late for them, take care of all their nonsense, and provide them with the items they require before they can ever ask like mine does.

Vera was a lifesaver. Before she met me, she worked as a secretary at Clyde & Skadden. One night when I went over to drop discovery for a case one shitty partner was attempting to harass her, so I not only beat him up, but I also sued him so badly that he is now working in a legal clinic someplace in Utah. To repay me Vera came to work for me and has been with me for almost 5 years now.